• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post
    "Definitions are difficult as well as what we may think is avoidance the trader may think is tax mitigation."

And this (again) is from HMRC's:
    Chris Tailby
    Director, Tax Practice

Who will hold this mob to account?
    Remind me, tax avoidance is legal, yes?

Comment

Anyone had recent problems receiving CTD's ?

I paid by chaps and sent the letter off on the 24th of February and still not had the CTD. However I received a self assessment statement saying I'd over paid xx,xxx (the amount of the CTD I made).

Is this likely to be backlog / resource related or a balls up ?

There's a phone number on the SA statement and also I notice a phone number back in this thread for the CTD dept, not sure who I should be calling.

any advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
        Remind me, tax avoidance is legal, yes?
        Maybe , depending on what future retrospective legislation is implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug1965 View Post
          Maybe , depending on what future retrospective legislation is implemented.
          Love it. Actually laughed out loud.
          Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
          "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by xtal View Post
            Anyone had recent problems receiving CTD's ?

I paid by chaps and sent the letter off on the 24th of February and still not had the CTD. However I received a self assessment statement saying I'd over paid xx,xxx (the amount of the CTD I made).

Is this likely to be backlog / resource related or a balls up?

There's a phone number on the SA statement and also I notice a phone number back in this thread for the CTD dept, not sure who I should be calling.

any advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.
            Sounds like it could be a balls up, and the money has been credited to your SA account.

I would phone the CTD department.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              Sounds like it could be a balls up, and the money has been credited to your SA account.

I would phone the CTD department.
              Aren't CTD anonymous? ie. not linked to your SA account

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
                "Anonymous" is rather like "fair" in that it's not defined in taxes acts. Hector has clearly come up with their own determination of what it means, and true to form an interpretation that is less than obvious. The only plus here seems to be that it got credited to xtal's SA account rather than someone else's. Of course if you are Hector, sitting up north, there's no reason why anyone wouldn't want to put any surplus funds on their SA account at 0% interest.

xtal - make sure that your CTD gets credited from the right date. I agree with DR, looks like a ballsup.
                Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
                  I think the problem is that the process is flawed.

You make an electronic bank transfer to HMRC and then you are reliant on some bod in Cumbernauld tieing this in with the separate covering letter for the CTD.

I heard from one guy where HMRC ended up writing to his bank to find out who the CHAPS payment was for. D'oh!

This is the reason I sent a cheque. I figured at least if the cheque was stapled to the covering letter, the money was less likely to go AWOL.
                  Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 31 March 2010, 10:06.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. For sure it's got to be a balls up, I done nothing different to the ctd I bought in 2008.

No doubt they will claim to have not got letter or some nonsense.

Will call CTD dept. and see what they say.

Comment

01236 785202 CTD dept. - voicemail, cheers hmrc!

Comment

Working...
                      X