• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timms video on data.gov.uk

Couldn't see this posted anywhere but thought the guy really has his two-face act down to an art: Video: Stephen Timms MP talks at the launch of data.gov.uk | News | guardian.co.uk [Note its from January so not new].

Perhaps one for HMRC to know when assessing FoIA requests
    Public information doesn't belong to government it belongs to the public on whose behalf government is conducted
    . And more

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      Havent received a reply to my first letter to the new Government yet but if a second letter will add more fuel to the fire, Im up for it.

Is there any template available?
      Assuming you get a 1st response which says "due to the public finances etc etc, we can't promise to repeal", send this in reply:

http://wimg.co.uk/5eQ.doc

Comment

Originally posted by moira under the stairs View Post
        DR.

Just got back from a well deserved vacation (without worrying about s58 I managed to relax and have a great time with the family for a few weeks that's priceless they can take my house but they can't take that away from me) ...now back to reality catching up on the great work that's been going on just copied off the letter and sent to Ms Jackie Doyle-Price MP.

Out of interest how many letters sent out to MP's to date ?
        I've had approx 220 requests for the letter so far, and many people have been passing it on to others.

I've also just made contact with users of another scheme, so there are more going out this weekend.

Please Note

I did not write the letters. I wish I could have done but I'm not articulate enough. I provided input during the drafting but mostly I've just been doing the Donkey work of distributing them.

Therefore, all credit for the letters has to go to our brilliant wordsmith Toocan.
        Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 5 June 2010, 09:37.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          I've also just made contact with users of another scheme, so there are more going out this weekend.
          DR, can confirm that said scheme has mobilized it's users based on your contact. Got the e-mail yesterday from them.

Also happy to send follow up letter, once my MP replies!
          Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Can I pose a question to the group

My question is about tax relief from charitable donations.

I would like to increase the amount I give to charity but am currently in a perm role (looking to contract asap but that's the position I find myself in).

As I'm getting taxed at source I would normally claim back an amount when I do my self assessment.
            However, they already owe me 3-4K from overpayments on account but won't pay me that while I am in dispute like we all are for a much larger figure.

So does anyone know a way for me to claim relief in such a way that they can't withhold it?

Comment

Letter just posted to Michael Fallon MP :-)

Great work everyone !!!

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              There are only 3 weeks until the budget.

Yes, it is a longshot but what have we got to lose?

You don't need to contact me for the letter, as I have now made it available for download here:

http://wimg.co.uk/kDl.doc

I am working behind the scenes to get this out to as many scheme users as possible.

Don't think about it. Just send it!

Comment

Originally posted by Basher View Post

Great work everyone !!!
                Good stuff.

Fallon was Chairman of the Treasury Sub-Committee under Labour, and is now likely to become Chairman of the overall Treasury Committee, so he has a lot of influence.

Comment

Treasury select committee

Originally posted by Basher View Post

Great work everyone !!!
                  Is Fallon your MP?

He is likely to be the chairman of the treasury committee which we need to lobby when the budget comes for for approval after the emergency budget.

Will you post back his response or non response asap. We may want to contact him direct on be
                  behalf of the forum.

Comment

Every letter counts

Have you sent a letter to either your MP or the Chancellor?

If not, please read on – we are at a critical juncture and this cause needs YOU.

Right now, the new government are putting together their first budget. It will be unveiled on Tuesday 22nd June – just 16 days away. Governments can do things early in their tenure that they cannot do later on. Right now, they are at the height of their power. The government have been asked to state their position on section 58. The answer will come on Tuesday 22nd of June. If section 58 is not repealed on that date, then it will not be repealed.

If section 58 is not repealed then we will have no choice but to be led through the legal system from London to Europe as each side argues their case. That could take up to 5 years. Only then will this matter come back to the UK tax courts. If we were to ultimately lose, that would be 5 years more interest added to the bill. I don’t want that, and I doubt you do either.

The initial responses that have been received suggest that the government want to repeal section 58 but they need a little more evidence to actually cross the Rubicon. It is one thing for a minister to read in a briefing document that “3,000 individuals will be affected” – it is quite another to have a stack of 3,000 letters on one’s desk! The first is cold and unemotional; the second is visceral and palpable.

The new Treasury ministers need those letters – they need to know the destruction that section 58 will cause if left on the statute book.

If one sits back and looks rationally at what we are asking, it is not a big ask. We are simply asking to have our day in court and be judged according to the law as it was when we made our decision to use the DTA scheme. Nothing more. Repealing section 58 does not give any message on tax avoidance – it does give the message that law is consistent and stable – that the rug will not be pulled from under you.

Practically speaking we have about a week to get as many letters into the government machine as we can. Your letter does count. We are an informal group and we only have rough numbers, but from the data we have – we need more people to step up and write to their MP or the Chancellor.

There is no down side to doing that. HMRC already know who you are. You can download the template here:

http://wimg.co.uk/kDl.doc

It is easy to do – it will take 10 minutes of your time and could save you a fortune – perhaps even everything you have worked for.

There were many providers who made the DTA scheme available. Some of those providers have joined our campaign – has yours? Have you received anything from your provider that encouraged you to write to your MP? If not, why not? Get on the phone to them and ask the question. They don’t actually need to endorse this campaign – just make their clients aware of this forum, or this post. We’re in a raw numbers game now, and we need those letters to go in.

We have a moment right now to make a difference – that will only happen if enough people step out of the darkness and state, “this matters to me”.

Repeal Section 58, Finance Act 2008, paragraphs 4 and 5 because in the UK we live by the law as it is and not how it might have been.

Write that letter – make the difference.

The clock is ticking.

The time to act has arrived.

Do it now.

Comment

Hi All

Letter sent to Jeremy Lefroy...

CC

Comment

Working...
                      X