• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    I agree with you but, as we already know, the courts can spring nasty surprises.

Also, it may be wrong but it was passed by Parliament. Parliamentary supremecy is not something the courts take lightly.

That's why, as some have commented, this won't get proper scrutiny until it reaches the Supreme Court or Europe.

Now, if the Government were to issue a statement now saying they believed it was wrong in principle but they couldn't do anything because of the budget deficit...

"...this would send a signal that "justice comes at a price", which the courts could hardly ignore."
    Have the government not already done this in the form of the standardised response from MP's?

Comment

Follow-up letter

If you have received a response from your MP saying

"I am afraid that, with the public finances in the state they are, new Treasury ministers are unable to make any firm promises to reverse this legislation..."

Send this in reply:

http://wimg.co.uk/5eQ.doc

Thanks!
      DR
      Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 4 June 2010, 14:10.

Comment

MP Responce - We will have to wait until after the Budget

"I am afraid that, with the public finances in the state they are, new Treasury ministers are unable to make any firm promises to reverse this legislation..."

Send this in reply:

Thanks!
        DR

Responce from my Cons MP - We will have to wait until after the Budget.
        So Roll on the 22nd June.
        Fingers crossed.

Comment

Send this in reply:

Thanks!
          DR

Hi DR - I'm more than happy to send a follow up letter, but I haven't yet had a response to my original letter yet.

I sent mine to Ed Davey - I know there is someone else on this forum that sent a letter to him as well . . .have you had a response yet - whoever you are? I think it is 'Kiwiguy' or 'Kiwiinlondon'? Something to do with 'Kiwi' anyway. . .let me know if you can. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ALMAC View Post
            Have the government not already done this in the form of the standardised response from MP's?
            Sadly not. There is nothing directly attributable to a Government minister in the letter. Without an official statement, it doesn't mean anything.

Comment

Public finances

From some time back.........

I thought the paragraph on page 17 was very telling.

It is important to understand that the Enforcement Office does not behave like most commercial creditors. In particular, it often petitions for bankruptcy even where it is clear that this will not benefit HM Revenue and Customs because the taxpayer has no assets. Indeed, sometimes the bankruptcy costs the government money, because the bankrupt loses their home and/or job and is forced to rely upon social housing and/or welfare benefits.
              With the 'public finances in the state they are'?

Is the current state of affairs not a drain on the public finances, nothing coming in yet but money going out for QC & court cases etc? Any benefit that the exchequer MAY get is likely to be some years away & after more expenditure. The way to help the public finances now would be for this to be dropped & to stop wasting more money by chasing this thing all the way to Europe!

Comment

Spotlight turns on HMRC

Cumbria shootings: Derrick Bird feared jail term over tax evasion | UK news | guardian.co.uk

A Cumbria police spokesman confirmed this morning that detectives were looking at the killer's finances and involvement with HMRC, saying: "It is an ongoing line of inquiry but there is no comment on that at this present moment."

Whist I'm sure none of us would in any way want to excuse Bird's actions, if he was under investigation by HMRC we do know what that feels like.

Commenting on the financial hardship and marital problems some people affected by s.58 were facing, one of the HMRC senior officers who gave evidence at our Judicial Review completely dismissed this saying that people had brought it on themselves.

It is this sort of callous and heartless attitude which can drive people to do desperate things.
                Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 4 June 2010, 19:07.

Comment

It is clear from the responses we are getting, that the Government firmly believes s.58 was wrong in principle.

The main stumbling block is this:

We are preparing a reply to this. There isn't much time to get this to Ministers, so we need to act quickly.

Is everyone up for sending a follow-up letter?
                  Havent received a reply to my first letter to the new Government yet but if a second letter will add more fuel to the fire, Im up for it.

Is there any template available?
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Send this in reply:

Thanks!
                    DR
                    No reply from Osborne yet, but will wing this off if and when I get one.

Comment

The date of the emergency budget has been announced as Tuesday 22nd June, 5 weeks tomorrow.

I am not going to try and pretend that the prospects of getting s58 overturned are great but I hope you will all agree that we should do something.

A detailed letter has been prepared to send to Tory and Libdem MPs.

If your MP is Labour, fear not because it can be sent directly to the Chancellor himself.

Full instructions are included in the letter.

To receive a copy email me at [email protected]

Thank you!

DR.

Just got back from a well deserved vacation (without worrying about s58 I managed to relax and have a great time with the family for a few weeks that's priceless they can take my house but they can't take that away from me) ...now back to reality catching up on the great work that's been going on just copied off the letter and sent to Ms Jackie Doyle-Price MP.

Out of interest how many letters sent out to MP's to date ?
                      MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Working...
                      X