• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The One Show.........

Apparently.........
    'Matt Allwright adds up the cost of tax avoidance to the UK economy.'
    It's on the iPlayer. As soon as I get to a Wi-Fi I'll check it out.

Comment

Good!

Originally posted by williamsmx View Post
      I was in the middle of something else with the TV on in the background. Did I hear the one show report that the government is cutting back on staff dealing with tax avoidance schemes? Seems like an odd thing to do given the government's very public announcements that they want to massively reduce tax avoidance.
      Glad to hear they will be losing their jobs. taste the pain!

Comment

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
        Apparently.........
        'Matt Allwright adds up the cost of tax avoidance to the UK economy.'
        It's on the iPlayer. As soon as I get to a Wi-Fi I'll check it out.
        I bet the cost of eradicating tax avoidance would be far, far higher.

If you force companies & wealthy individuals to pay the maximum rate of tax, they'll quit the UK and then you'll get nowt whatsoever off them.

Comment

Geese

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          I bet the cost of eradicating tax avoidance would be far, far higher.

If you force companies & wealthy individuals to pay the maximum rate of tax, they'll quit the UK and then you'll get nowt whatsoever off them.

4 good friends of mine (and I mean good friends, not acquaintances) have now moved abroad.

One was paying about £1m a year in tax and so went to live in Singapore instead - he is significantly better off as a result. Our chancellor, and more importantly the folks that really depended on his tax income, no longer get a penny from him.

He is a very intelligent chap - he would have to be to earn that much income I guess (as he's not a criminal) - so he was able to work out that he was better off moving abroad (it wasn't that hard to work out to be fair).

He knows lots of people who have done similar.

Who on earth in their maddest dreams, would come up with a tax system that would actively drive people like him away?

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
            4 good friends of mine (and I mean good friends, not acquaintances) have now moved abroad.

One was paying about £1m a year in tax and so went to live in Singapore instead - he is significantly better off as a result. Our chancellor, and more importantly the folks that really depended on his tax income, no longer get a penny from him.

He is a very intelligent chap - he would have to be to earn that much income I guess (as he's not a criminal) - so he was able to work out that he was better off moving abroad (it wasn't that hard to work out to be fair).

He knows lots of people who have done similar.

Who on earth in their maddest dreams, would come up with a tax system that would actively drive people like him away?
            One who had built the tax system on 'fairness' (please see accepted Government definition rather than Oxford English Dictionary definition)
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Lost Tax Revenue

I would love to see a study that examines the cost to the treasury of the punitive tax regime that drives high earning individuals out of the UK to more tax friendly juristictions , the reality is that until the government gets to grips with the fact that many people in Britian today see welfare as a career choice " net contributors " will continue to feel agrieved and I beleive rightly so by the fact that choosing to work 14 or 15 hour days to build a career or a company up results in being unfairly penalised to pay for those who neither want to work or in fact ever intend to. We have lost the relationship between risk and reward for those whose hard work and determination has taken them to the point of being a high earner. It is often said that people need to " pay their share " I don't think anyone who has any sense of attachment to the country of birth would dispute that but not when paying your share means getting up every morning at half six to go to work whilst knowing such a high proportion of those capable of a days work will surface at lunchtime, roll a joint, open a can of special brew and laugh at the rest of us who are paying for it. If and when this imbalance is addressed then perhaps the wealthy will be less inclined to take the " i'm out of here , who's laughing now ? " approach. I genuinely don't beleive anyone objects to paying a fair proportion of their income in tax and probably a higher proportion if it genuinely went to help the elderly , the unemployed who sit on a pittance struggling whilst trying every day to find work and the most vunerable in society, the reality I believe is that the freeloaders and the politicians who have allowed the situation to develop have broken the trust between government and the governed.

Comment

Moving Abroad

Hi,

I have been offered a role working in NZ. My husband is Kiwi but since we have lived here for the last 20 years; I never applied for residency.

Do you know if the BN66 tax inquiry could affect my status applying for foriegn residency??

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
                  Hi,

I have been offered a role working in NZ. My husband is Kiwi but since we have lived here for the last 20 years; I never applied for residency.

Do you know if the BN66 tax inquiry could affect my status applying for foriegn residency??
                  Two of the original five "Barcap Boys" now live/work in Switzerland.

So if you're watching HMRC....

Mod Note: beating the swear filter is a yellow card offence.

Comment

my good ladies company may be acquiring a famous Ozzie brand so there is a possibility of relocating there, think we may take that option.

Comment

Already left

Originally posted by TheBarCapBoyz View Post
                      Two of the original five "Barcap Boys" now live/work in Switzerland.

So if you're watching HMRC....

Mod Note: beating the swear filter is a yellow card offence.
                      +1 for Switzerland, thank God my children will not grow up in my native country that has turned into

Comment

Working...
                      X