• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nick Clegg

Whatever became of Nick Clegg's initiative website for the public to tell him which laws to reform?
    Was it conveniently forgotten by the Govt?
    Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
      Whatever became of Nick Clegg's initiative website for the public to tell him which laws to reform?

Nick Clegg : "Which "Laws" do you want to get rid of"

Daily Telegraph "David"

* Source - Have I Got News For You

Comment

Good question.

The site is currently closed and archived

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] Repeal retrospective elements of section 58, 2008 Finance Act — HMG - Your Freedom

Can't find any mention of which (if any) laws were repealed.

Comment

If there ever was any genuine intention behind the Clegg website, which I seriously doubt, it has long since fallen by the wayside.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            If there ever was any genuine intention behind the Clegg website, which I seriously doubt, it has long since fallen by the wayside.
            No kidding on both counts.
            From the outset it was clearly a PR exercise and I rated the chances of it delivering anything substantive as marginally worse than the chances of me being appointed Emperor of China.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              No kidding on both counts.
              From the outset it was clearly a PR exercise and I rated the chances of it delivering anything substantive as marginally worse than the chances of me being appointed Emperor of China.
              It's like the No 10 Petitions website. Pure PR by Labour as a sop to the masses.

However, it did backfire on them a bit when the the petition with by far the most votes was demanding Brown's resignation.

Sometimes it is possible to hijack the most cynical of their PR stunts and turn it back on them.

Comment

Surprised people arent abreast of this one.

It got canned because too many people suggested too many laws to be reformed or done away with.

So, like the rest of this useless coalitions big noises, you wont have weekly bin collections re instated, you wont get lots of useless laws repealed and forgot the big one, david gawke now says BN66 should be 'left to the courts to decide'!

Thanks for nothing you useless ****ers. At least I didnt voted for them.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Surprised people arent abreast of this one.

It got canned because too many people suggested too many laws to be reformed or done away with.

So, like the rest of this useless coalitions big noises, you wont have weekly bin collections re instated, you wont get lots of useless laws repealed and forgot the big one, david gawke now says BN66 should be 'left to the courts to decide'!

Thanks for nothing you useless ****ers. At least I didnt voted for them.
                  Funny how they are happy to "let the courts" decide on interpretation of European Human Rights laws when it suits them (BN66) but go in to a big strop when "the Courts decide" to interpret the same ECHR in ways they don't approve off (prisoners' votes, sex offenders being given the right to be removed from the register, deportation of terrorists etc etc).

Seems like this coalition doesn't know its human rights' arse from its elbow.

Comment

Lords Criticise governments tax strategy -

Lords criticise government's tax strategy
                    by Jaimie Kaffash

More from this author
                    17 Jun 2011

Read more: Lords criticise government's tax strategy - 17 Jun 2011 - Accountancy Age
                    Accountancy Age - Finance, business and accountancy news, features and resources. Claim your free subscription today.THE GOVERNMENT'S tax strategy is "inconsistent and overly complex", a House of Lords report on the Finance Bill has claimed.

The House of Lords economic affairs committee welcomed the government's consultation on tax issues, but said it was inconsistently implemented, citing the oil and gas tax announced in the Budget.

Further reading

Treasury committee report highlights complexity of Budget measures
                    CIOT criticises disguised remuneration legislation It cited Frank Haskew, head of the ICAEW tax faculty, who said the disguised remuneration legislation - which was designed to tackle offshore trusts - was "the worst I have ever seen". The Lords concluded that this problem was tackled too late and was "excessively long and complex". They called on the government to consult earlier.

The Lords also called on ministers to "develop a strategy to tackle tax evasion" ensure that its corporation tax reforms "do not accidentally disadvantage particular groups, for example small and medium-sized businesses".

Committee chair Lord MacGregor (pictured) said: "The government is on the right track with its commitment to a new approach to tax policymaking which sees it consulting widely about changes before putting them into practice.

"If the government sticks to its commitments, the UK will have a better tax system with better laws which are better scrutinised. But there are lessons to be learned from this introduction of the new system which the committee urges the government to follow."

Read more: Lords criticise government's tax strategy - 17 Jun 2011 - Accountancy Age
                    Accountancy Age - Finance, business and accountancy news, features and resources. Claim your free subscription today.
                    Originally posted by TheBarCapBoyz View Post
                    Funny how they are happy to "let the courts" decide on interpretation of European Human Rights laws when it suits them (BN66) but go in to a big strop when "the Courts decide" to interpret the same ECHR in ways they don't approve off (prisoners' votes, sex offenders being given the right to be removed from the register, deportation of terrorists etc etc).

Seems like this coalition doesn't know its human rights' arse from its elbow.

Comment

The One Show

I was in the middle of something else with the TV on in the background. Did I hear the one show report that the government is cutting back on staff dealing with tax avoidance schemes? Seems like an odd thing to do given the government's very public announcements that they want to massively reduce tax avoidance.

Comment

Working...
                      X