• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Not BN66 related but get ready for the next attack! Just when you thought it couldnt get any worse.

Government to revive 'Dracula' tax on family businesses - Telegraph
    John Whting at the OTS and CIOT has been sympathetic to our cause. Not only did he object most strongly when BN66 was announced he has also written recently in his role at the CIOT to condemn retrospective action in general and S58 in particular.

In his role as director of OTS perhaps we can persuade him to include a clause in the 2011 budget to limit the retrospection of S58 to the 12th March 2008 when BN66 was announced.

I will contact him on this point and get his response.

Comment

it seems the Barcap Boyz were right about Vince Cable (who looks like Mr Bean, now eh Vinnie?)

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...tml#post822910

His reputation is about the equivalent of a turd on a string right now.
      Last edited by TheBarCapBoyz; 22 December 2010, 12:56. Reason: Cable more of a tosser than we thought

Comment

HMRC Letter

I got home last night to find a brown envelope from HMRC amongst the Christmas cards. I opened it assuming that this was more of the HMRC dirty tricks, only to pleasantly find a letter stating I had overpaid my tax last year and was due a refund! So this will reduce my potential retrospective tax liability under BN66 to 99% of what it would have been. Every little helps!

Hopefully a good omen!!

Chins up.

Comment

I have about £800 in my account but they won't give it back because of the BN66 crud. I might just have to investigate a claim for loss of interest when we win. Don't care if it's only 50p with todays interest rates. Its the principle of the thing.
          Regards

Slobbo

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."

Comment

Originally posted by reckless View Post
            I got home last night to find a brown envelope from HMRC amongst the Christmas cards. I opened it assuming that this was more of the HMRC dirty tricks, only to pleasantly find a letter stating I had overpaid my tax last year and was due a refund! So this will reduce my potential retrospective tax liability under BN66 to 99% of what it would have been. Every little helps!

Hopefully a good omen!!

Chins up.
            I got one of these recently and it was a nice amount (albeit a very small percentage of the amount they say I owe!). I tried several times to get the money and ended up going through the complaints dept which did the trick :-)
            http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
              I got one of these recently and it was a nice amount (albeit a very small percentage of the amount they say I owe!). I tried several times to get the money and ended up going through the complaints dept which did the trick :-)
              I've heard of other people who have pushed back and succeeded in getting their refund.

One guy told them he was depressed and feeling suicidal, and they soon changed their tune.

Comment

Court of Appeal

The court is now in recess and doesn't resume sitting until Tuesday 11th January.

I therefore assume we won't get a judgment until some time after this date. I wouldn't even be surprised if it slips into February.

Have a great xmas everyone, and let's hope the new year brings us better fortune.

All the best!
                DR

Comment

Happy Christmas

And indeed a Happy Christmas to all on here and Best Wishes for an optimistic and prosperous 2011 free from this awful cloud that has been hanging over us for so long. I feel especially grateful to DR and a number of other regular contributors who have done so much to present the voice of reason and calm when it is so easy to feel one is looking down the barrel of a gun - huge respect to you guys.

T

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  The court is now in recess and doesn't resume sitting until Tuesday 11th January.

I therefore assume we won't get a judgment until some time after this date. I wouldn't even be surprised if it slips into February.

Have a great xmas everyone, and let's hope the new year brings us better fortune.

All the best!
                  DR

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

All the best!
                    DR
                    You too DR, and thanks as always. Merry Christmas everyone - and now - a beer I think and a toast to a new and hopefully happier NewYear.

Comment

Happy christmas and new year everyone and enjoy you festive season!!

Im feeling more upbeat about 2011, whatever the COA outcome!!

Comment

Working...
                      X