• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    I might be wrong but this sounds more like the PwC case - Art 56 of the EU Treaty.
    yes was pwc case and lots of references to articles and eu this and eu that ....

from what i could barely hear from the pwc silk ...

Comment

Originally posted by ROBIN REDBREAST View Post
      Don't you mean in true HMRC style we're likley to get a decision on 24th December...just in time no doubt to ruin all festivities....!

Yep, and remind me to send Mr YouKnowWho a birthday card at his funeral
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
        yes was pwc case and lots of references to articles and eu this and eu that ....

Thanks for attending sir! Let's hope the judges can hear whats being said

Comment

thanks a lot.

Comment

When HMRC takes the witness stand, listen carefully... for you are almost certain to hear the words of well known songs.

Nope, Santa hasn't finally cracked under the pressure, read this:

Police gunman's 'song titles' probe over Mark Saunders inquest | News

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
              So if we don't win our case but Pwc win there's do we have scope to jump on their rulling?

Just wondered if both will be ruled on seperately since they are both different arguments.
              It doesn't matter whether we win or PwC win. A win for either is a win for us all.

Comment

Other cases

Do we know anything about the other cases? i.e. the KPMG and Ernst and Young ones (I think). Can't find anything via Google.
                Regards

Slobbo

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."

Comment

Originally posted by Slobbo View Post
                  Do we know anything about the other cases? i.e. the KPMG and Ernst and Young ones (I think). Can't find anything via Google.
                  Last time I spoke to Steed, who are represented by KPMG, they hadn't heard anything about their ECtHR application which was filed back in January 2009. This is not that surprising because there is an enormous backlog of applications at the court.

I heard about the E&Y action through a tip off but never managed to confirm any details. I don't know if there is any real substance to this.
                  Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 2 November 2010, 17:09.

Comment

just back from the courtroom ...

our guy was discussing the IOM and its statehood ... part of a member state .. or a "3rd country" ... etc etc...he discussed the case of Jersey potatoes and a case that went through european law to determine Jerseys statehood ...

it ended nicely with the head judge determining that it was 1300 and all this talk of jersey potatoes had left him quit peckish .... and promptly left to return at 1400 ....

CPBWRN
                    I *think* this refers to a court case about levies imposed on the export of Jersey Royal spuds to the UK. The ruling found that for the purpose of movement of free capital and goods, Jersey was to be considered part of a member state of the EU under Protocol 3 to the Act of Accession annexed to the Treaty of
                    Accession 1972, Jersey and the IOM are to be treated as part of a member state and therefore not subject to restrictions on free movement of capital etc..

Or to put it another way, Hector can eat his Jersey Royals without paying extra for them via levies imposed on Jersey (tax etc) due to EU restrictions being imposed on Jersey. As the IOM falls into the same ruling of the above Act, then the IOM is allowed free movement of goods, capital etc under Article 56 of the EU Treaty and cannot be thwarted by Article 57 which allows member states rights of restriction of such free movements.

Right, off to buy some Jersey Royals and hope the Judges enjoyed them as much as I will...

Comment

Anyone going today?

I'm waiting for my contact to provide an update but, from the sound of it, the PwC presentation was very technical yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                      X