• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the times are a changing....

I guess I should wait for MTM comms but I think the writings on the wall.

This scheme and others like it (EBT's) are not going to survive the full might of the state and we've been foolish to think otherwise. The unregulated providers will disappear and leave all of us facing the music.

So here’s to us trying and thank you DR and co for all your efforts and for making me feel a little better about this dreadful situation I find myself in.

Comment

Originally posted by DownButNotOut View Post

This scheme and others like it (EBT's) are not going to survive the full might of the state and we've been foolish to think otherwise. The unregulated providers will disappear and leave all of us facing the music.

So here’s to us trying and thank you DR and co for all your efforts and for making me feel a little better about this dreadful situation I find myself in.
      I think we've all had a pretty awful time, and I have my concerns about MPs move. DR is right though, we should wait for the circular, and we haven't lost yet. We have our own argument and PWCs, and as far as I'm concerned, they longer they take the more to come to a decision the more hopeful I will be. Ironically, there's even a possibility that we will escspe, while EBTs might be trapped, not that I would wish it on them. We aren't beaten yet. Elvin appears to have done well, Singh seems to have slipped. All we can do now is prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and not beat ourselves up.

Also on a personal note, without this forum I would have found life pretty unbearable. No matter what happens, DR and the others on this forum have helped me tremendously, and I am sincerely grateful.

Comment

Too much negativity

Why don't we wait for this circular and the result of the hearing before you throw the towel in. Personally I have always had my doubts as to whether we could ever win, legal or not, human rights or not, especially when its hard not to believe HMRC would be pressurised by those ruling our country.

I'm in for £160K so have to hope and prey that the law will prevail. I dont think MP will give up the chace...if there are 2000 people affected by this, then if MP have not been paid by us, the consultants while the scheme has been under investigation then they stand to lose 10's if not 100's of millions in lost fees so I'd say there is a fair carrot dangling for them to continue with this to a high a court as there is for us to appeal to..

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
        I think we've all had a pretty awful time, and I have my concerns about MPs move. DR is right though, we should wait for the circular, and we haven't lost yet. We have our own argument and PWCs, and as far as I'm concerned, they longer they take the more to come to a decision the more hopeful I will be. Ironically, there's even a possibility that we will escspe, while EBTs might be trapped, not that I would wish it on them. We aren't beaten yet. Elvin appears to have done well, Singh seems to have slipped. All we can do now is prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and not beat ourselves up.

Also on a personal note, without this forum I would have found life pretty unbearable. No matter what happens, DR and the others on this forum have helped me tremendously, and I am sincerely grateful.

Comment

Originally posted by DownButNotOut View Post

Many people have taken on the 'full might' of the state and won. It happens every year many times over.

Comment

I have to agree with DR and Robin Redbreast.

There is absolutely no point in speculating what is going to happen or "throwing in the towel" at this point in time. We simply do not know what Montpelier are planning or what the judges are thinking.

The fight is not over yet.
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by ROBIN REDBREAST View Post
              Why don't we wait for this circular and the result of the hearing before you throw the towel in. Personally I have always had my doubts as to whether we could ever win, legal or not, human rights or not, especially when its hard not to believe HMRC would be pressurised by those ruling our country.

I'm in for £160K so have to hope and prey that the law will prevail. I dont think MP will give up the chace...if there are 2000 people affected by this, then if MP have not been paid by us, the consultants while the scheme has been under investigation then they stand to lose 10's if not 100's of millions in lost fees so I'd say there is a fair carrot dangling for them to continue with this to a high a court as there is for us to appeal to..
              Hope I didn't come across as being negative! I have my concerns, but I'm very practical, neither unduly optimistic or pessimistic. I have no intention of throwing the towel in, but I have set aside what I afford to in case we do. I hope we win, I think it is possible, and I won't be giving up until the last nail is in the coffin if that's what it comes down to.

Comment

Is this 'Happy Friday' or something ??
                I get into work and the first thing I do is check the forum (well, I do check my work email first - in the name of professionalism of course) - and everyone so glum !

I don't think the situation is hugely different than before, other than MontP deciding they don't want to deal with tax avoindance schemes anymore (I think we all feel like that!)

So chin up, it's the weekend, we're still here. Just remember to buy all your Xmas present now before they take every last penny from you and you can still enjoy Christmas.

and if it helps at all - I actually dreamt last night that we won!, and it was announced on 'Good Morning' (or whatever the morning TV show is) - unfortunately, like all my other excting dreams, I woke up too early though.

OK rambling over - have a good Friday everyone and enjoy the weekend !

Comment

I agree JG, everyone so miserable...jeez we havent lost yet, the situation hasnt changed...and just becuase MP are stepping away from some avoidance schemes it doesnt mean they are giving up the fight....chin up people..

Comment

Chin up

Yes, I agree. We still have many, many reasons to be positive. Not least, 'cause we are right!!! We are here because HMRC/Labour realised they've screwed up and are trying to cheat the system and backdate a law to cover-up their f**k up. We've done absolutely nothing wrong/illegal and operated within the letter of the law at every point.

So, chin up and remember that our honesty is beyond doubt where as that of HMRC/Labour totally stinks!!
                    Lord Clyde in 1929: ‘No man is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores. The Revenue is not slow to take every advantage which is open to it under the taxing statutes for the purpose of depleting the taxpayer’s pocket. And the taxpayer is entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Revenue.’

Comment

Originally posted by ROBIN REDBREAST View Post
                      then if MP have not been paid by us, the consultants while the scheme has been under investigation then they stand to lose 10's if not 100's of millions in lost fees so I'd say there is a fair carrot dangling for them to continue with this to a high a court as there is for us to appeal to..
                      Sorry but I think those figures are wildly exaggerated and gives people false reasoning to believe Montp wont conceed defeat at some stage because of all these 'lost fees.'

The payback to MontP is only about 1.5 - 3% tops
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X