• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for the first time I am seriously thinking of leaving this god foresaken country. Not running away from our situation I just have had enough of governments trying to screw you for every last penny. Its just going to get worse....maybe if these governments thought a little bit more about trying to invest in industry or protect what we have to get some kind of GDP once more there wouldnt be such an emphasis on taxing everyone and their dog.

Comment

Is the UK starting to wake up to the implications of blurring together avoidance and evasion at last? I hope so:

BBC - Peston's Picks

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
        for the first time I am seriously thinking of leaving this god foresaken country. Not running away from our situation I just have had enough of governments trying to screw you for every last penny. Its just going to get worse....maybe if these governments thought a little bit more about trying to invest in industry or protect what we have to get some kind of GDP once more there wouldnt be such an emphasis on taxing everyone and their dog.
        Agreed, I’m sick of the way recent governments have been penalising hardworking people who simply want to better themselves. It seems the harder you work the less you benefit so what’s the point in even trying anymore?? Yet if I were a freeloading benefit scrounger I could stay in bed all day and the government would pay me for the privilege without threatening to bankrupt me, take everything I’ve ever worked for, and put my family out on the street!!!

Maybe the government have forgotten that we all have the right to choose where to live and I for one am tired of flogging my guts out for HMRC to then come along and use any underhand tactics they see fit to screw as much from me as possible!! Coupled with the uncertainty brought about by retrospective legislation the UK is no longer somewhere I can be happy so why would I want to stay here??

Regardless of the outcome of our legal challenge I am no longer willing to fund these thieving, lying, ba**trds, as far as I’m concerned they can go f**k themselves – I’m off to contribute to a fair society instead!!!

Can the last one out please switch off the lights!!

Comment

Danny says tax evasion is "morally indefensible"

And here's me thinking it was illegal.

So, if you are thinking of legging it abroad, remember this would be morally indefensible.

BBC News - Alexander launches 'ruthless' tax evasion clampdown

"Tax avoidance and evasion are unacceptable in the best of times but in today's circumstances it is morally indefensible."

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

So, if you are thinking of legging it abroad, remember this would be morally indefensible.

"Tax avoidance and evasion are unacceptable in the best of times but in today's circumstances it is morally indefensible."
            I think keeping tax payers waiting 7 years for you to act is morally indefensible, its tantamount to torture!

Comment

I think keeping tax payers waiting 7 years for you to act is morally indefensible, its tantamount to torture!
              By my count it is about 9 years now!

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about these comedians. We have an extremely naive party, wet behind the ears and all that, tasting power for the first time in 60 years, gobbing off about tax avoidance in order to appease the grumpy left of the party.

When they grow up they will realise that a) the only real way to avoid "unintended" tax avoidance is to eliminate the incentive to avoid, ie reduce taxes; b) that tax avoidance is a factor of an over complicated tax system that would takes decades to revisit, and c) that if you try to clamp down on 'unintended' tax avoidance you risk tampering with the tax breaks that drive the economy, eg low capital gains/ corporation tax rates as incentives to incorporate, grow ones business; ISAs/pensions as an incentive to save and so on. In short, tax avoidance is, for want of a better word, good.

Frankly it's pathetic.
                Last edited by TheBarCapBoyz; 20 September 2010, 15:45.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBarCapBoyz View Post
                  I wouldn't worry too much about these comedians. We have an extremely naive party, wet behind the ears and all that, tasting power for the first time in 60 years, gobbing off about tax avoidance in order to appease the grumpy left of the party.

When they grow up they will realise that a) the only real way to avoid "unintended" tax avoidance is to eliminate the incentive to avoid, ie reduce taxes; b) that tax avoidance is a factor of an over complicated tax system that would takes decades to revisit, and c) that if you try to clamp down on 'unintended' tax avoidance you risk tampering with the tax breaks that drive the economy, eg low capital gains/ corporation tax rates as incentives to incorporate, grow ones business; ISAs/pensions as an incentive to save and so on. In short, tax avoidance is, for want of a better word, good.

Frankly it's pathetic.
                  hear hear, the only reason people avoid paying something, is if its too expensive. Reduce tax rates and they would actually increase tax receipts. Its one of the most fundamental lessons of economics.

All you have to do is google lowering tax rates and you get a mass of economists etc all saying the same thing, heres one example:

"What happens," he wrote, "if we instead raise tax rates? Economists of all persuasions accept that a tax rate hike will reduce GNP, in which case Hauser's Law says it will also lower tax revenue."

So here's the bottom line: Hauser's Law shows that the only way that politicians can increase government revenue significantly is to increase economic growth significantly. And the most effective way they can do that is to lower tax rates significantly.

Everyones known about this for years, but our beloved benefit claimants will see it as HMG siding with the rich, then Labour will crucify the govt and before you know it the new govt. has been voted out at the next election by all the dolies...vote buying again im affraid, trying to protect the electorate, nothing more.
                  Last edited by smalldog; 20 September 2010, 15:58.

Comment

hear hear, the only reason people avoid paying something, is if its too expensive. Reduce tax rates and they would actually increase tax receipts. Its one of the most fundamental lessons of economics.

All you have to do is google lowering tax rates and you get a mass of economists etc all saying the same thing, heres one example:

"What happens," he wrote, "if we instead raise tax rates? Economists of all persuasions accept that a tax rate hike will reduce GNP, in which case Hauser's Law says it will also lower tax revenue."

So here's the bottom line: Hauser's Law shows that the only way that politicians can increase government revenue significantly is to increase economic growth significantly. And the most effective way they can do that is to lower tax rates significantly.

Everyones known about this for years, but our beloved benefit claimants will see it as HMG siding with the rich, then Labour will crucify the govt and before you know it the new govt. has been voted out at the next election by all the dolies...vote buying again im affraid, trying to protect the electorate, nothing more.
                    It is quite astonishing that this so called party of civil liberties is foaming at the mouth at the thought of bully boy ex wheel clampers being hired as debt collectors and HMRC inspectors using lie detectors on high earners.

I liked Littlejohns article on this in the Mail... worth a read...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...taxpayers.html

Comment

I find it laughable when BBC Journalists speak out against tax avoidance, for the majority of them are using personal service companies.
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X