• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vallah View Post
    It wasn't a joke, and I've no interest in spreading rumours. I explained in private what I'd heard to DonkeyRhubarb, and have already said that I'll apologise if it isn't true. However several people have told me independently that CID were in the IOM office yesterday, and I believe an office in the North West was targeted as well.

As an aside I'm hugely on the side of anybody affected by BN66, and posted what I'd heard not to spread lies or cause trouble, but to alert people to the possibility that HMRC might be trying underhand tactics. Again, if it turns out that I've been misinformed, then apologies.
    Ahhhhh CID... that explains it.... they went in an confiscated some Lewd pictures of a Donkey swathed in a blue blanket carrying out an act on the rear end of a cow ... allegedly !!! agree with Ninja it may have nothing to do with our case what so ever.... ohh hang on there's someone banging on my door..................
    MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

It wasn't a joke, and I've no interest in spreading rumours. I explained in private what I'd heard to DonkeyRhubarb, and have already said that I'll apologise if it isn't true. However several people have told me independently that CID were in the IOM office yesterday, and I believe an office in the North West was targeted as well.

As an aside I'm hugely on the side of anybody affected by BN66, and posted what I'd heard not to spread lies or cause trouble, but to alert people to the possibility that HMRC might be trying underhand tactics. Again, if it turns out that I've been misinformed, then apologies.
      I can vouch for Vallah. This person is not a troll and would not spread malicious rumours. They would not have posted if they didn't think there was any credence to the story.

Unfortunately so far I've not been able to confirm any of this.

Comment

............ to alert people to the possibility that HMRC might be trying underhand tactics.
        Thanks Vallah.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          I can vouch for Vallah. This person is not a troll and would not spread malicious rumours. They would not have posted if they didn't think there was any credence to the story.

Unfortunately so far I've not been able to confirm any of this.
          No point speculating. It'd be decent if MP could give us some kind of heads up though. I presume by North West we are talking Manchester.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
            No point speculating. It'd be decent if MP could give us some kind of heads up though. I presume by North West we are talking Manchester.
            No, the Manchester office know nothing about this.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
              Dont think so. spoke to Manc office yesterday afternoon and they werent aware of any of this. They also said that there would be no reason for any raid to do with our case as its all now in the legal system and there has never been any reason for needing to stoop to these levels. Also remember that MontP is pretty big having over 50 offices worldwide and over 23000 clients, so its more likely to be related to something else entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheBoat View Post
                Dont think so. spoke to Manc office yesterday afternoon and they werent aware of any of this. They also said that there would be no reason for any raid to do with our case as its all now in the legal system and there has never been any reason for needing to stoop to these levels. Also remember that MontP is pretty big having over 50 offices worldwide and over 23000 clients, so its more likely to be related to something else entirely.
                Sounds good (for us anyway). Thanks

Comment

Rest easy, if it is true and CID are involved then it has nothing to do with our case - CID would have no involvement in a case like ours.... They would only be involved had fraud been committed, however that accusation has quite rightly never been levied as there has never been any deception (full disclosure has always been the case) which would be required to be classified as such!

Sounds to me like someone spreading false information!

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog View Post
                    I recently received a "Notice warning of enforcement by distraint" which appear to Montp to have been sent in error, as although my liabilities for previous years had been postponed pending appeal, they sneaked a "payment on account" into my 2008 return ( I think this was added in July this year) based on the postponed figures !

MontP are trying to get an explanation and will subsequently try and get HMRC compliance to talk to HMRC Debt recovery. I suspect this is going to be painful !

Mad
                    I now need to check my Self Assessment payments as I think HMRC did the same to me, snuck in a "tax owed" figure for 2007-08 based on what I "should" have paid were I not in the MontP scheme.

Just to clarify, I take it HMRC aren't meant to do this?

On a similar note - in 2007-08 I overpaid some tax, asked for it back and HMRC said "sorry, you're under investigation, we're hanging on to that" - I presume this is just one of their many Draconian powers?

Comment

FYI - in the Isle of Man press today there is a story that last Weds 29 September Police Officers from the IOM Financial Crime Unit raided premises connected with Montpelier Tax Consultants of Fernleigh House, Douglas and 'seized a quantity of material' as part of an ongoing HMRC investigation into "suspected fraudulent tax avoidance schemes". Similar raids took place in the UK and one arrest was made (in the UK).

Comment

Working...
                      X