• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Good luck with your white paper, In The First Degree. However, if you are seeking "enlightenment", I'm not sure Alan Jones or TruthBehindTheLies are the type of people who can provide it.
    Thanks for your reply SantaClaus. The 2 people who you mention do however seem to be well versed in the history and facts of what has become s.58 retrospective legislation. I would rather allow them to provide independent facts for my work to avoid any doubt that my work is fully balanced.

If they are the subject of s.58 and are affected one way or the other, I think that it is only right for them to provide their analysis - right or wrong. That way a formal Due Diligence can be performed that allows all views and bias to be taken into account. These findings will be profiled against a "Rate of Error" calculation to ensure that any "peaks" in information analysis are levelled out.

None of this is of course, relevant, without any opposing considerations to this case. And I'm afraid, this does include Social Policy issues which are now seen as part of the formal landscape. When this became a consideration is however, another and separate research topic. Nonetheless, I can find no case law of Social Policy being the evidence for retrospective tax legislation, not least since there is no legal nor indeed acedemic agreement of what this means. This consideration will also form part of my analysis.

Comment

IN THE FIRST DEGREE - A lot of people lives are going to be ruined by this. Since it is currently going through the courts I suggest you find something else to write about.

There has been a lot of underhand work from HMRC and AJ so I would recommend that nobody send anything to IN THE FIRST DEGREE since we have absolutely no idea who it is and we would not want to deal our cards early.

Comment

Apologies

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
        IN THE FIRST DEGREE - A lot of people lives are going to be ruined by this. Since it is currently going through the courts I suggest you find something else to write about.

There has been a lot of underhand work from HMRC and AJ so I would recommend that nobody send anything to IN THE FIRST DEGREE since we have absolutely no idea who it is and we would not want to deal our cards early.
        helen7,

I do not want to cause any further inconvenience or problems for those affected by Section 58. My research is in relation to the UK Tax System and with reference to retrospective tax since I have studied the history to the Rees rules as an example. There is clearly some divergence between what has been applied in law and that which could have been applied as the law stood or was known to stand. I respect your comments and will not request any further input on this matter via this site. I would not wish to see anyone or family ruined by any legislation not least when full disclosure of ones finances occurred before the enactment of HMRC's Disclosure Regime. Given the facts as they were known before the law required it would seem a rather selfless act. I wish you well in your cause. I shall research this and related topics elsewhere to avoid any concerns if you wish it. Perhaps I have chosen an inapproriate place to ask the questions that I feel are necessary to understand the matter at hand. I apologise to you if in doing so I have caused ill-feelings for yourself and others affected by this matter.

Kind Regards.
        Last edited by In the First Degree; 18 July 2010, 22:16.

Comment

I agree completely. Call me over-sensitive, but there are only a handful of people I trust on this subject.

IN THE FIRST DEGREE: If you think you can contribute here by all means do so, fresh pairs of eyes and opinions are always welcome.

Comment

Troll ??

Originally posted by swede View Post
            Call me over-sensitive, but there are only a handful of people I trust on this subject.
            Hey team: - For some reason my Troll antennae is twitching furiously.

Can 'IN THE FIRST DEGREE' be properly verified? If not, be careful out there. I don't see what there is in this that will benefit our case.

What value is there in the musings of an undergrad?
            Last edited by TAF4; 19 July 2010, 08:08.

Comment

Info is available....

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
              Hey team: - For some reason my Troll antennae is twitching furiously.

Can 'IN THE FIRST DEGREE' be properly verified? If not, be careful out there. I don't see what there is in this that will benefit our case.

What value is there in the musings of an undergrad?

I don't see this forum as the place to ask for the prosecution details. All the so called arguments and facts put forward by HMRC and the Government for this iniquitous piece of legislation are available in Hansard, the Finance Committee debates transcripts and the JR transcript and judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                You should be worrying about the Graduate tax mate not this tulip.
                We find it amusing the way this site changes the word sh'it to tulip.

"You're tulip and you know you are"

It'll never catch on.

Comment

Agreed. People here may loose their houses..this is real world. I don't know who you are and whether your story is genuine but I would also politely suggest you do your case study on an historic case that is already resolved. This way nothing ongoing can be influenced and you won't step on anyone's toes as you put it.

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
                    I agree completely. Call me over-sensitive, but there are only a handful of people I trust on this subject.

IN THE FIRST DEGREE: If you think you can contribute here by all means do so, fresh pairs of eyes and opinions are always welcome.
                    Ditto. There is nothing that we aren't prepared to share that isn't already on this forum. Good luck with your paper ITFD, but I'm afraid that for 2500, this is an awful lot more than a academic paper.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                      Ditto. There is nothing that we aren't prepared to share that isn't already on this forum. Good luck with your paper ITFD, but I'm afraid that for 2500, this is an awful lot more than a academic paper.
                      god forbid but I know of a couple of people affected who have mentioned the unthinkable should we lose....

stick that in your paper....there will be blood on the hands of the ministers and HMRC, trust me...

Comment

Working...
                      X