• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back onshore, anyone?

Originally posted by Morlock View Post

For those who may have missed it, some news on IR35 in the coalition's detailed programme, at page 10 of http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/medi...coalition.pdf:
    "We will review IR35 as part of a wholesale review of all small business taxation, and seek to replace it with simpler measures that prevent tax avoidance but do not place undue administrative burdens or uncertainty on the self employed, or restrict labour market flexibility."

Back onshore, anyone?
    I think if any government can give a tax system which is 'fair' then I would be more than happy to be back onshore. in fact, why not just go back to pre IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      The MPs we have been writing to.

HMRC, and their partners in crime* in HM Treasury, are going to be all out to nobble us.

* remember, the Government may have changed but the civil service mandarins in the Treasury who recommended this legislation have not!
      I apreciate that we don't want to give anything away here. But am I to take from this that the responses have been favourable to us?
      and your quote about HMRC being out to nobble us is because they could be in for some hard times themselves ?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyguitar View Post
        I apreciate that we don't want to give anything away here. But am I to take from this that the responses have been favourable to us?
        and your quote about HMRC being out to nobble us is because they could be in for some hard times themselves ?
        It's very early days yet but we've already had one positive response.

HMRC have invested a lot of time and resources into this, so they won't want to let it slip away. And they don't like losing.

However, there is one benefit for them if this matter is dropped...

...it would get me off their backs.
        Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 21 May 2010, 14:42.

Comment

Letter sent to Ben Wallace.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by patbikeruk View Post
            Adam Afriyie Conservative MP for Windsor
            My first ever contract was at one of his companies!

Comment

Originally posted by stuffed View Post
              Anyone know why we have to wait so long, yet BA/Unite case seems to manage to get into the Court of Appeal within 1 week.

Are they different courts?
              They are the same courts but there is a fast-track process for hearing cases which are time critical.

However, I understand you're frustration. There is a famous saying "justice delayed is justice denied" and sometimes it feels like that.

Comment

Letter to PM sent

Letter to David Cameron in the post, as he is my local MP.

Comment

Check your SA statements, I've just had a nasty shock. . . .

Doing a VAT return on line and now have a very big negative number in my SA account. Not seen any paperwork for a demand, but suspect this is coming.

Looks like I'll have to get MP to appeal it again.

LL

Comment

Originally posted by Lazylobster View Post
                    Doing a VAT return on line and now have a very big negative number in my SA account. Not seen any paperwork for a demand, but suspect this is coming.

Looks like I'll have to get MP to appeal it again.

LL
                    My account is still showing as "collection suspended", so I think yours might be a mistake.

While we are on the subject, I have a bit of reassuring news to pass on from Montpelier...

They have heard from HMRC's barrister Singh that HMRC have agreed to suspend collection until the legal process has run its course

Comment

Suspended collection.........

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      HMRC have agreed to suspend collection until the legal process has run its course
                      Could you expand on this DR?

I thought it was suspended anyway having appealed the CN's.

Comment

Working...
                      X