• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Better off beight caught by IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

FFS when will people get it into their thick heads that expenses are not income. If you make money on them by understating your tax position, you're doing it wrong and potentially commiting evasion.

Also, if you buy something for £10 and expense it, all you're doing is getting back the tax on the original £10 you used to pay for it.
    Calm down......I know its not income but it reduces the taxes you pay.

For IR35, if 5% of gross can be treated as expenses, that is a fair sum of tax saved, whether you spent it or not apparently the 5% is allowable, if you haven't spent it then the tax saved is effectively is income.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
      Calm down......I know its not income but it reduces the taxes you pay.
      Oh, now I see. So if I spend ALL the income on buying stationery, I've saved a TON of tax?
      Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
        Oh, now I see. So if I spend ALL the income on buying stationery, I've saved a TON of tax?
        nooooooooo

If you gross £100K you can offset 5K as expenses EVEN IF YOU DID NOT SPEND ANYTHING

Comment

NO my understanding (which I am sure is right) is that you can claim UP TO 5% in expenses you do not have an automatic right to the 5% deduction

If someone can prove me wrong I am always happy to stand corrected!

SORRY !!!! TOO long ago in the study manual a quick review of HMRC says 5% is okay I stand corrected !
          Last edited by jetrimby; 25 January 2010, 17:31.

Comment

Originally posted by jetrimby View Post
            NO my understanding (which I am sure is right) is that you can claim UP TO 5% in expenses you do not have an automatic right to the 5% deduction

If someone can prove me wrong I am always happy to stand corrected!
            I'm no expert, and its complex:

In granting the 5% allowance, HMRC do not require proof of expenditure and the full 5% is granted, even if there is no actual expenditure whatsoever.

Other expenses

Note that the 5% allowance is only for "administration" and is to cover the ten points above. In addition to the 5% for administration costs, a contractor can also claim direct costs such as travel, computer costs, subsistence, direct training, sub contractors, etc.

Allowances for corporation tax

The 5% is in respect of the deemed salary calculation only and is not taken into account when preparing the company’s accounts and corporation tax computation.

The company accounts will take into account the actual expenses only, which may be higher or lower than the 5% allowance.

hmmmm I've just noticed that this is from the same site as the calculator, so maybe the calculator allows for this already?

Anyway reading it again it does still look odd if any calculator gives a result claiming you are better off inside IR35 - I'm prepared to admit I could be wrong on what I said earlier.

Comment

I'm getting a headache...

Which bit of "the money you are claiming back is for something paid for out of taxed income" did you not understand?

And the 5% in IR35 is nothing to do with expenses. Take your gross, deduct allowable business expenses such as pension, travel, accomodation, accountancy fees and the like (but not training) and you get a balance. Take 95% of that balance. That's what you pay PAYE and NICs on regardless of how much you actually take out of the company.

Seriously if you don't understand the basics, go with an umbrella and stop wasting everyone's time. This is not a game for amateurs.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Which bit of "the money you are claiming back is for something paid for out of taxed income" did you not understand?

And the 5% in IR35 is nothing to do with expenses. Take your gross, deduct allowable business expenses such as pension, travel, accomodation, accountancy fees and the like (but not training) and you get a balance. Take 95% of that balance. That's what you pay PAYE and NICs on regardless of how much you actually take out of the company.

Seriously if you don't understand the basics, go with an umbrella and stop wasting everyone's time. This is not a game for amateurs.
                I'm going to regret doing this but I can't help myself.

I have always taken 95% of the sales gross, then deducted allowable expenses before paying the rest as PAYE/NI. I also disagree that accountancy fees are an IR35 allowable expense and they are paid out of the 5%. I do agree that the other expenses you have quoted reduce your deemed payment.

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
                  I have to say that I dont understand this IR35 thing you have in the UK.

Either you are in business on your own account or you are a disguised employee, regardless of Ltd Cos etc.

PZZ
                  Sssh, HMRC will use this as evidence that contractors are knowingly cheating the system.

The UK doesn't have friendly rules towards sole traders, which is the 'proper' self-employed way to work. So UK contractors set up companies. But it's not fair they then have to pay all the employer taxes as well as employee taxes on their income, hence dividends redress the balance somewhat.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Speak to an accountant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

OK............ I bow to your superior knowledge on this - I must have been misled under the impression that the 5% was on the gross income and could be used to reduce tax on salary whether the expense was incurred or not.

And if we don't understand the basics - we can learn - sorry to have troubled you but you don't have to treat us all like idiots only fit for brollies - everyone has to start somewhere - the material may be there to read but it is easily misunderstood to those who are new to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X