• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quantifying FRS Benefits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XLMonkey View Post
    You're right that the gain on the Flat Rate Scheme is subject to corporation tax (and then income tax when it gets to you). But... its still free money, and it does add up.

I track it as a separate income line in my accounts, which show that it made the company just over 1,200 last tax year.... not riches, but not bad for doing nothing.
    1200? Are you using the 'right' percentages?

Although Im currently on the FRS, I cannot claim the VAT element on any fuel I use or my accountants fees (yes I could do that myself. Well Actually no I couldnt then there's the 'my time' element which is immeasurable) or training material I purchase.

By the time you take out that VAT element from even the 1200, Id reckon there'd be about 600 quid 'freemoney' as you call it.

And you're still giving HMRC an avenue to investigate you \ your co so its not really for 'doing nothing' is it?

Its not really worth it IMO.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by explorer View Post
      Yes, I did. I acknowledged that in my second post above. It's just extra profit for your limited co. And so the money that you have to shell-out to take out the profit would have to go through the normal process and taxes (Salary -> PAYE, NIC etc, Divvy -> CT etc), but would depend upon your specific circumstances, like the total profit made by yourco in the financial year (for ex, if the latter is too low, you might be able to extract your extra 'savings' for free).

Sorry, didn't quite get that. Cann't see why is it not a benefit, if it gives a couple of hundred quids, without any additional effort, unless making money is not the motive of your business.

That went completely over the top. How does being VAT/FRS registered effect your IR35 status? In fact, I would think that being VAT registered would make yourCo look more like a legitimate business, rather than a tax-efficient way to provide employee services to an employer. And the money saved using FRS is legitimate profit, made using the laid down process. HMRC is just discounting a part of tax collected by your business for them, and in return asking you not to claim VAT on your supplies (unless it exceeds a threshold), saving both you and them loads of accounting.
      Extra profit that is taxed. Therefore this reduces the amount of this 'free money' you mention.

Is it a 'benefit'? Is there such a thing as a free lunch? As I said, being on the FRS means you cant claim for any incidental VAT costs (unless its over 2 grand).

So, that you cannot reclaim VAT off the PC \ Laptop you purchased. It means you cannot reclaim the VAT off any training material \ business related books you may purchase. It means you cannot reclaim the VAT element on your fuel irrespective of the 24 month rule. It means you cannot reclaim VAT for any professional services such as accountants \ having your contracts iR35 reviewed.

Its all beginning to mount up now (or should that be whittled away) isnt it?

My point about being FRS or any VAT scheme registered is that it gives HMRC another avenue to open up an investigation, be that VAT, PAYE or IR35. To think HMRC would not use any tactic at their disposal beggars believe.

That 'free money' doesnt look so 'free' now does it?
      Last edited by BolshieBastard; 4 January 2010, 00:38.

Comment

I think that stating that being registered VAT gives HMRC another avenue to investigate you is a bit on the paranoid side to be honest.

To me the biggest win with the FRS is the simplified accounting, not the "free" money. Obviously being on the FRS results in there being a surplus but of course the point of the surplus is to cover any input VAT on expenses that would have normally been recovered on the standard scheme.

Its really quite simple...if the input VAT on your expenses exceeds your FRS surplus (i.e. you make a lot of large VATable expenses) then you shouldn't be on the FRS. For most contractors, the FRS surplus should exceed the VAT on their expenses therefore leaving over some left over profit.

Comment

By way of example, my current FRS surplus for the year stands at £921. However I have made a lot of supplies that are outside the scope of VAT (US clients, iPhone software sales etc.). For a contractor for whom the majority of work is within the scope of UK VAT (e.g. UK clients) then this would be higher.

Now, I don't know how much input VAT I've paid on my expenses for the year but if for arguments sake we ignore any expenses that might be zero-rated or VAT exempt, then I'd estimate that unrecoverable VAT portion of my expenses to date is no more than £270 meaning I've benefitted from being on the FRS to the tune of £650 (or £513 after corp. tax) plus the simplified accounting that comes with it.*

Seems like a no-brainer to me, unless you're worried about HMRC being out to get you.

*its worth noting I'm in my first year so have benefitted from an extra 1% discount but I'd still expect to turn a profit from being the FRS despite this.
          Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 4 January 2010, 01:14. Reason: Added note about first-year discount

Comment

Removed.
            Last edited by OrangeHopper; 4 January 2010, 09:13. Reason: I questions why I bother at times.

Comment

BolshieBastard, FRS is "free" money for the average IT contractor who has little or no VAT to claim back.

Example:- 50K turnover ex VAT, 17.5% VAT, 13% FRS rate.
              VAT charged = 8750
              VAT paid to HMRC = 47K x 0.13 = 7637.5

VAT profit - 1112.5
              After corp tax - 878.88

And the more you can charge, the more you make off the VAT

Calculations are trivial - just work out the above once a quarter, type into online VAT, and send the payment. No need to do a full VAT breakdown or trouble an accountant!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                1200? Are you using the 'right' percentages?

Although Im currently on the FRS, I cannot claim the VAT element on any fuel I use or my accountants fees (yes I could do that myself. Well Actually no I couldnt then there's the 'my time' element which is immeasurable) or training material I purchase.

By the time you take out that VAT element from even the 1200, Id reckon there'd be about 600 quid 'freemoney' as you call it.

And you're still giving HMRC an avenue to investigate you \ your co so its not really for 'doing nothing' is it?

Its not really worth it IMO.
                yep, definitely using the right percentages.

You benefit if your recoverable VAT is less than the gain you make on turnover. Generally, most contracting companies have recoverable VAT on less than 5,000 GBP of expenses pa. (go on, try to add up accountancy, training, stationery etc to more than this, its not easy).

So, on the flat rate scheme, you might lose 17.5% of 5,000 = 875
                and you would gain 4.5% of your VAT inclusive turnover = ???

a quick calc shows that you would be a winner if your VAT inclusive turnover is > 19,210.

I definitely bill more than this.

Re. VAT investigation - don't think that there's any reason to think that you are more likely to be investigated if you are on the FRS rather than off it. VAT investigations tend to get triggered by missing a deadline, rather than fitting a profile.
                Plan A is located just about here.
                If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Originally posted by lukeredpath View Post
                  I think that stating that being registered VAT gives HMRC another avenue to investigate you is a bit on the paranoid side to be honest.

To me the biggest win with the FRS is the simplified accounting, not the "free" money. Obviously being on the FRS results in there being a surplus but of course the point of the surplus is to cover any input VAT on expenses that would have normally been recovered on the standard scheme.

Its really quite simple...if the input VAT on your expenses exceeds your FRS surplus (i.e. you make a lot of large VATable expenses) then you shouldn't be on the FRS. For most contractors, the FRS surplus should exceed the VAT on their expenses therefore leaving over some left over profit.
                  Paranoid? Are you serious? If you arent registered for VAT it is one thing less they can investigate on. Fact!

I do agree the benefit of FRS is simplified accounting rather than 'free' money. And I think you may find most contractors will;

buy a new laptop \ pc perhaps once a year
                  claim the VAT element on fuel
                  undertake some form of trainging either via a residential type course or other means once a year
                  will have some professional services such as accountancy, contract reviews once a year.

When the unclaimable VAT element is offset against the FRS scheme, the benefit is severely eroded.

Comment

Working...
                  X