• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First payment coming through as a Ltd - can I raid it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Olly View Post
    Originally Posted by Gonzo
    1. Never overdraw the DLA by more than £5,000 otherwise you will run into Benefit in Kind issues.
    WRONG - you may run into BIK issues if you don't pay interest to your Ltd on the excess
    Not WRONG.

If you pay borrow more than £5'000 you will run into BIK issues. These being "if you don't pay sufficient interest on the loan, then you will have to pay income tax and NI on the interest your not paying".

To the OP. "Wages".
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Not WRONG.

If you pay borrow more than £5'000 you will run into BIK issues. These being "if you don't pay sufficient interest on the loan, then you will have to pay income tax and NI on the interest your not paying".

To the OP. "Wages".
      and I thought I was being pedantic.
      You MAY run into BIK issues, not WILL
      But then it depends on your definition of 'issues'. I'd say the majority would infer it to mean something negative and inevitable rather than possible solutions to avoid the bad stuff.
      argh.....got better things to do...need breakfast

Comment

Surely this is overkill, you're the Director, have a meeting with yourself and agree with yourself how much in dividends you want to pay yourself (very safe to go with up to 50% as someone else mentioned).

Write out a form saying the above and withdraw the money.

Send copy to accountant and say "I did that" so they can file it.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
          and I thought I was being pedantic.
          You MAY run into BIK issues, not WILL
          But then it depends on your definition of 'issues'. I'd say the majority would infer it to mean something negative and inevitable rather than possible solutions to avoid the bad stuff.
          argh.....got better things to do...need breakfast
          Of all the posts that I forget to add IANAA to it had to be this one.

It does depend on your definition of "issues" of course. For me, paying tax that could easily be avoided is most definitely an issue.

Hopefully the OP will be aware of the implications of overdrawing the DLA more than £5,000 now and that was the message that I wanted to get across.

Comment

Working...
          X