• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT Contractor substitute colleague

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT Contractor substitute colleague

There are lots of warnings about IT Contractors making use of their right of substitution otherwise it's a sham to have it in the contract.
    If there are several contractors in the department performing the same role, is it possible for the contractors to substitute each other for a week (with or without taking time off themselves)? It can be difficult to find a substitute from outside the company with the same skills and level of access to systems. Surely, the company cannot object to this substitution as all contractors have the required skills and level of access?

We joked about this at my last gig.

I guess you'd have to put them on your payroll for that week, invoice as usual but pay them via PAYE. Same for you in their company.

HMRC if investigating would probably see through it; they're quite tenacious once they have the rabbit in their sites.
    "take me to your leader"

Comment

Why do they have to be paid PAYE, surely a B2B contract paid against an invoice will suffice?
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Maybe if the substitution clause was abused in they eyes of HMRC; would they bin it, giving contractors even less good pointers for being outside IR35?

Comment

Isn't covering for a week a bit of a tenuous use of Right of Substitution..

A week looks more like holiday cover which if true would make the substitution a bit of a sham and therefor be arguable in an investigation?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            Why do they have to be paid PAYE, surely a B2B contract paid against an invoice will suffice?
            Just throwing ideas around to be honest. You make a good point I can't see why not.

I can't see why holiday-cover can't be used to exercise right of substitution.

I think the general rule here is not to rely on 1 facet of IR35 to stay out.
            "take me to your leader"

Comment

If there are several contractors in the department performing the same role, is it possible for the contractors to substitute each other for a week
              Who is going to substitute the guy you pull in to substitute you? You are robbing Peter to pay Paul. Unless you get someone in from the outside the customer is still going to have suffer a weeks break if all his guys are shuffling up to back fill.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Who is going to substitute the guy you pull in to substitute you? You are robbing Peter to pay Paul. Unless you get someone in from the outside the customer is still going to have suffer a weeks break if all his guys are shuffling up to back fill.
                No fella, what is being mooted is Mr A substituting for Mr B concurrent with Mr B substituting for Mr A.
                "take me to your leader"

Comment

Working...
                X