• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

empty Ltd account while living tax free

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

empty Ltd account while living tax free

If become tax resident in Saudi Arabi for example where there is no income tax (I believe) can I just pay myself everything left in my Ltd as salary with no tax?

Believe the rules for NI are little more complicated but guess should be able to avoid paying that too...

Employees NI? Erm not sure?
    UK Corporation tax, again not sure, if company makes no profit because all turnover goes in salary then would there even be any for yr?

All food for thought....any ideas?

Not that simple but if that is going to be your situation (moving to Saudi) there are ways you can vastly reduce/eliminate your tax obligations but you need to talk to a very good international tax accountant with lots of experience in that kind of thing and they are expensive (both their fee's and whatever they might set up), so expensive that unless you are talking about a large tax obligation probably not worth it.

Comment

coooooooome on...that's not giving much away is it.
      all you've said is "ask your expensive accountant"
      Last edited by Olly; 30 November 2009, 21:19.

Comment

If you never plan on coming back (and who would really want to, unless they simply had to?) just draw the money out and close the account. Simples.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

no I plan on coming back...saudi is one of the few places that's worse than the UK

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
            coooooooome on...that's not giving much away is it.
            all you've said is "ask your expensive accountant"
            Because that is all one should say, laws/reg's, which are being enforced and which are not, are constantly changeing.

Then there is also how your particular circumstances will affect things, like do you intend on coming back, if so when. Do you have property in the UK, does it still have a morgage outstanding that needs payments, so forth

So that you stay "legal" only a expert could even start to advise you because what could work and be legal for one person will probably not be legal/workable for the next

Comment

In theory you might be able to do something but you should take professional advice.

You have to get right:

1. Convincing HMRC that you are no longer tax resident in the UK. I don't know all the details with this but if you are still being paid salary by a UK company I suspect that that may be more difficult than you realise. Dividends may be a better route.

2. Consider how the authorities in your new country will view your company. Some countries will treat your company as resident in their country along with you. I don't know about Saudi Arabia. They might not be interested but they might be very interested and you need to be aware of any implications.

Residency for tax purposes is complicated.

I am not an accountant.
              Last edited by Gonzo; 1 December 2009, 22:53. Reason: Wording could be improved.

Comment

no I plan on coming back...saudi is one of the few places that's worse than the UK
                close it anyway - pay 10% CG tax on what is left

Startup a new one when you return

My co is closing down on the first day I get a contract where I am unable to work through it (e.g. Belgium / holland )

Comment

If:-

You are coming back
                  You cease to be UK resident
                  Your company maintains UK residency
                  You individually cease to be UK tax resident

Then you may want to consider paying yourself a huge salary say 500,000. You then lend this back to the company through the DCA - though the money needs to physically move around. It is possible to ensure you produce a nice loss to carry forward in the company.

Be prepared for a huge fight with HMRC.
                  Ensure that this income is not taxable in your destination wherever it happens to be.

However if you do it absolutely right, and you specific circumstances allow it you can come back to a huge balance on the DCA to live of for a number of years, a great big tax loss to absolve CT going forwards (and sometimes even going back for 1 year). But you do need to find a very competent (i.e. expensive) accountant.

If you don't get it exactly right then you will be very very deep in the dung.

Comment

Fair enough. Must be a close run thing I guess.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X