• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I change the entire purpose of my IT Ltd Company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I change the entire purpose of my IT Ltd Company?

Morning gents and possibly the occasional lady,

Quick question - my latest Ltd. Co. has been going for 3 years and lasted 2 contracts. I'd now like to totally change track and run a different sort of business. Not sure what yet but probably a training firm or buying / selling - maybe even a pub for a bit. Question is - can I use the money in the Ltd Co to finance the "new" business. If not, do I need to pay CGT on all I take out then pay that again when I take it out of the new Ltd Co?

Thank you,

Richard
    That London

I don't see why not. After all, Berkshire Hathaway was originally a cotton mill, and is now an investment company.

IINAC but I think you may only need to change your VAT classification and maybe put some statement in your annual accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Citychap View Post
      the occasional lady,

BTW - what is an "occasional lady" ??

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
        'bout 100 quid an hour for a good one

apparently

Comment

Is it a bit like an occasional table?
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I don't see why not. After all, Berkshire Hathaway was originally a cotton mill, and is now an investment company.

IINAC but I think you may only need to change your VAT classification and maybe put some statement in your annual accounts.
            Cracking stuff - I can take the money out and use it on something I really want to do. Perfect. I want to train people to do this job not actually do it anymore

Comment

Change the classification in your company annual return too.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

so moving on a step, my annual accounts for the last 12 months are due in January and they'll show a healthy profit with little room for expense deductions so I'll have a large Corp Tax bill to pay late next year. However, if I draw money from the firm out during the year and end up losing loads, will that be deductible under Mandelson's small firms bill (the one where you can deduct current losses from previous years profits in times of crisis). Basically, could someone make a load in IT, buy a pub, get pissed with his mates for 6 months then bounce off into the ooloo free of tax debt? Seems odd. Also - this isn't my plan!

Comment

Originally posted by Citychap View Post
                  then bounce off into the ooloo free of tax debt? Seems odd. Also - this isn't my plan!
                  Interesting theory that... You may get away with it (if you did do it), but not without being disqualified as a director I would imagine. Then, as the saying goes, "you'll never waitress in Torquay again", unless you work for a brolly.
                  Last edited by moorfield; 20 November 2009, 11:17.

Comment

I know some contractors who ran a similar scam to fund their love of flying, setting up a 'flying school' and funding it through their IT activity. HMRC soon pointed out the error of their ways.

Comment

Working...
                    X