• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Belgium - A Short Guide to Tax and Social Security

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Useful refresher

I had a vague recollection that there were 'issues' with contracting in Belgium and this was a useful refresher on how awful it can be. An agent has just been assuring me that 75% retention was easily achievable on account of how we contractors are so special we don't have to bother with all pesky rules and regulations that apply to the average Belgian working stiff.

The thing that astounds me is that they never give up. You know they're lying, they know you know and yet they don't just admit it's a fair cop but persist in trying to make you feel unreasonable for not putting yourself on the hook for tens of thousands in taxes and, potentially, fines.

So, beware, they are still out there promising the earth with their dubious schemes. They won't, however, promise to pay your extra taxes if the scheme blows up. They're not that confident in its success.

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
      You cannot be a tax resident in 2 countries at the same time. According to my tax advisers the two countries will have to come to an agreement on where you are a resident and this could take time. The tax authorities will chase your clientco and agent for the tax, so your address is irrelevant.My end client only deals with Belgian agents as they don't want to end up with my tax bill.
      There is a great difference between taxes and social security. You can be tax resident in two or more countries at the same time as it is entirely down to national legislation.

You can not be resident in more than one country for social security as it is covered by EU regulations. You apply for an A1 certificate, and the authorities will sort it out.

Comment

My issue is the following

Im not belgium, im not beeing contracted by a belgium company and ill be resident outside Belgium

I will work in belgium and renting houses from AIRBNB.

What happens if i dont register in LIMOSA and i dont register as resident, its my feeling i will fly under the radar or is there any way the belgium authorities discover im there.

Honestly im already paying taxes in my country, i will not use Belgium social security so i will just go there to work, for more than 183 days but its just work.

Is it possible to flyunder the radar or not.

Thank you all for such great post and source of information.

Comment

Originally posted by Chejar View Post

Im not belgium, im not beeing contracted by a belgium company and ill be resident outside Belgium

What happens if i dont register in LIMOSA and i dont register as resident, its my feeling i will fly under the radar or is there any way the belgium authorities discover im there.

Honestly im already paying taxes in my country, i will not use Belgium social security so i will just go there to work, for more than 183 days but its just work.

You're asking us to advise you on tax fraud, not sure if that is in line with this forum's rules

Comment

Yes you could fly under the radar.

But you’ll probably get caught.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

1. Have you the necessary legal rights to work in an EU country?
              2. When in Belgium, even though you may not want to be claiming social security, will you be using the roads, streetlights, relying on the police, etc? Taxes are not just about social security.
              3. How long will you be working there for?
              4. Will your be travelling home much during your stay?
              5. If you were jailed/deported, would that be a big issue to you?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

thanks for all your inputs

This is indeed a really touchy subject, why do Belgium companies promote Contractors on one side if they only create burucratic obstacles, i have the feeling that a lot of contractors go there and leave after 6 months before have to register.

Its a crooked system any way you look at it.

You are almost pushed to commit fraud, only way not to do it is say no to the job offer and let another guy go there and be double taxed... long live Europe and its contradictions

thanks again guys, i have to think this through very well, i dont want to commit fraud but im also a true believer that you should not be double taxed and the UE sould have a more open policy regarding this issues. 183 days is clearly not enought to be used as an exception

Happy hollydays

Comment

thanks for all your inputs

This is indeed a really touchy subject, why do Belgium companies promote Contractors on one side if they only create burucratic obstacles, i have the feeling that a lot of contractors go there and leave after 6 months before have to register.

Its a crooked system any way you look at it.

You are almost pushed to commit fraud, only way not to do it is say no to the job offer and let another guy go there and be double taxed... long live Europe and its contradictions

thanks again guys, i have to think this through very well, i dont want to commit fraud but im also a true believer that you should not be double taxed and the UE sould have a more open policy regarding this issues. 183 days is clearly not enought to be used as an exception

Happy hollydays
                  It's not a touchy subject! Perhaps answering some of the questions above may help us to guide you further.

Getting a LIMOSA is relatively easy. Sorting out paying tax in Belgium is not difficult, you'd not be resident in your home country so you'd not be double taxed. Your issue is that there's a few big facts you aren't telling us about why you want to operate in the way you do.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I think the so call Big Facts you are adressing is what all the other 50 Pages before this one where refering to

As i said before, great post and thanks a lot for the help and for your guidance, clearly is helping me take a decision.

I was completely oblivious about all this when i was first approach to go to belgium.

And since im not into going to prison or support a system that only promotes indirectly (because they dont want the burden of having stables employees in order to reduce costs) fraud i will decline my offer.

Cheers

Comment

The bottom line is that you can hide, but sooner or later, the Commies will track you down and fine you and you will suffer great pain. It's not worth it. Save yourself and save your family and stay away from this leftist bureaucratic madness.

Comment

Working...
                      X