• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking Credit Card Payments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking Credit Card Payments

I have a customer that would like to pay for a small piece of work by credit card. Apparently it is easier to sort out at their end as they have quite a complicated process for raising POs.

I can pass on any fees involved so I guess using Paypal or something similar would be ok. Just wondering if anyone's done something similar, how much hassle to set up and any issues with the accounting?

thanks

Paypal would work as a one off, assuming you both have accounts.

Comment

Agree but it is simpler than that as he does not need to have an account. Just sign up and choose the request money option. The bloke will get an email requesting the amount, he clicks the link and can pay via CC or a Paypal account.

Signing up to Paypal is very easy, you don't need to send off utility bills and get 300 references from Nobel prize winners and all that stuff.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 25 August 2009, 12:13.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Thanks.
        Any ideas how this is accounted for?

If I just invoice the client as normal, but offer them the ability to pay by paypal would they get a receipt for the fee from Paypal?

Alternatively, would I need to show the fee on my invoice and somehow account for the deduction?

Comment

Minimum is to just tell them that if they want to pay by Paypal they will need to provide an email address, it is all that is needed.

You then log into your account, select request money tab and put in the address and amount. On the next page you can enter an email subject and message that could be a full VAT receipt if you wish so they can see that before they pay.

Paypal is pretty easy, just try it. No charge unless you actually use it. Think it's about 2.5% deduction if you do, so take that into account.
          bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Limited View Post
            Alternatively, would I need to show the fee on my invoice and somehow account for the deduction?
            WTF! Opportunity like that to shove it straight in your bin and you want to pass it through the books.

Opps, did I say that. In case Hector is looking. I'd never do such a thing myself. Not that I have any temptation to because I don't earn anything.
            That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I wouldn't either although I would like the opportunity. Beats me why anyone would want to pay tax given how it is wasted.
              bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                WTF! Opportunity like that to shove it straight in your bin and you want to pass it through the books.
                Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                I wouldn't either although I would like the opportunity.
                In a word (actually three words), VAT.

If the OP charges VAT, is it worth the risk?

If the OP does not charge VAT, it won't look good.

(Yes, I am a big fraidy and yes, I have got SUCKER written across my forehead.)
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Why not just get the customer to pop down the bank with aforementioned credit card, make a cash withdrawal and give you that.

Tell them that you don't do credit card transations, merchants fees and all that malarky.

If they don't ask for a VAT invoice, then don't give them one.

I find it hard to imagine that a "normal" client (who would be doing full accounting) would ask to pay for such a small piece of work (as you put it) with a credit card. Is this someone for whom you cleansed their PC, or wrote a bit of custom software for their e-mail or Excel macro or something like that??

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                    Paypal would work as a one off, assuming you both have accounts.

but you have to pay a fee to take your money out from paypal, 3% or something

Comment

Working...
                    X