• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming expenses from previous tax year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming expenses from previous tax year

I was too slow in claiming some expenses from July 2008. I understand that I might still be able to claim them via the Inland Revenue.

Has anybody recently done so and is it worth flagging yourself to the Revenue as they might hassle you? I don't have anything to hide but I'm just wondering whether it is worth opening myself up to scrutiny.

I am with the umbrella company, Parasol.
    Last edited by HermanDune; 21 July 2009, 21:35.

Why not just claim them for this year?

I don't think it matters when they were incurred (within reason), just when you claimed them.

Thats what I did when I found some missing expenses.

I'm not an accountant....(thankfully)

I'd keep the revenue out of this.

Have you thought of asking your accountant?

Comment

I should also have said that I am with Parasol, so they have closed off the expenses claim forms for last year.

Comment

One can certainly claim expenses for a previous period, says so in the original finance act thingy. As for methods with umbrella why can't they put it through for you in next year? Failing that, claim it on your next tax return.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

In all the years I've been trading, I have been claiming expenses that go back many months. No accountant has ever queried it.

I keep finding old receipts (usually from my wife's annual purse clean-out) and train tickets in suit pockets and emails with .PDF receipts or bills that go back months. I just claim them in the current month.

As far as I can see, it is merely employer's policies that say "If you don't get your expenses paperwork in on time, we're keeping it, ha, ha, ha!"

My employer's policy towards its staff is "We love you. You claim your expenses whenever you want, Petal (but please don't leave it over 7 years)".
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Umbrella Expenses For Previous Years

HermanDune

If your Umbrella Company will not process the expenses, the route would be to make a claim within your personal tax return.

the expenses claimable may be slightly different and it may be a little complicated, searching on the internet you may also find accountants who will do it for a fee of a % of the tax reclaimed.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by HermanDune View Post
              I should also have said that I am with Parasol, so they have closed off the expenses claim forms for last year.
              Call them and ask them how to do it. If they say it's too late, they are simply keeping some of your money for their convenience.

Comment

Working...
              X