• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Morality of working through a Composite Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miler

Who the feck is this clown?
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

does anybody seriously think that if we gave this gov more money that it would actually get used in the right way?

You could save a few billion by reducing inefficiency and kicking those work-shy money-wasting civil servants into shape

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~
        does anybody seriously think that if we gave this gov more money that it would actually get used in the right way?

You could save a few billion by reducing inefficiency and kicking those work-shy money-wasting civil servants into shape
        1) Give the gov more money. You're right; it wouldn't work. I've been involved in public sector projects where they've had so much money it's impossible to spend. Such cash cows simply become plump targets for the consultancies. It's not a question of more money but rather using the existing money in a more intelligent way.

2) Introduce performance management and greater accountability. It's like trying to get a cat to take a bath, but it's an obvious solution to part of the problem.
        Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
          NO! I won't stand for that! There is one reason why the economy of this country is suffering. Actually there are TWO reasons why the economy of this country is suffering.

1) Threaded has moved to Denmark. Without his enormous spending power and skillset the country is bound to suffer.

2) My incompetence. I work on some of the nation's biggest public sector projects and with me at the helm things can only go down hill fast. Would you trust me to run a bath? No, of course not. I'd fill the bath with mud whelks and hide in the cupboard. So it's little surprise that the country is falling apart. I'm sorry. It's all my fault.
          WS, you aren't a professor of economics at LSE are you? Rarely have I seen such clarity and insightful analysis.

Comment

Morality

Since when were contractors expected to have morals?

Comment

Why is it considered okay for a UK based contractor, working at a UK based client, through a UK based agency to work through an offshore registered composite company that pays no tax in the UK?
              Well actually this is plain and simple tax evasion, that is if the contractor has been working for more than 6 months.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by luke warm
                Since when were contractors expected to have morals?
                Last edited by ancient; 4 November 2005, 21:50.

Comment

Originally posted by ancient
                  I earned £700k in three years and paid the full wonga on IR35 e.g. taking home about 42%

If I was not so stupid I could have retired by now!!

I wrote to my MP about the distortions in the Contractor market and even got a letter from Dawn Prim - who basically was not interested that trusts and other scams are allowed to operate continually even after every budget speach where Gordon says Trusts and other vehicles will be eliminated.

The taxation system depends more on trust than anything else (e.g. only one percent of self assessment submissions are actually fully checked).

If I knew what I know now, I would have put the money away, and only handed it over if they asked for it. After all the statute of limitations (7 years) - well by law you can pocket the money?

Do we behave morally or legally?

And being moral can be dumb, that is what this government is teaching us - e.g. David Blunket.

Values & beliefs are two different things.

When I do my next big ticket contract, not sure what I will do.

end of rant.
                  Pretty impressive. That works out at almost £1,000 per day (assuming 100% utilisation) for three years. Very nice rate. What is it that you do?

Comment

I don't load tapes.
                    Last edited by ancient; 4 November 2005, 21:49.

Comment

Originally posted by ancient
                      I don't load tapes.
                      Damn! You are even more elusive than Mr Lucifer Box!

Comment

Working...
                      X