• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just starting out as a contractor...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just starting out as a contractor...

I need a decent accountant to advise me how to go about this, if there is such a thing as a decent accountant.

Any recommendations?

Originally posted by Petestar1969 View Post
    I need a decent accountant to advise me how to go about this, if there is such a thing as a decent accountant.

Any recommendations?
    FFS!
    Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
      FFS!
      Oh yada yada, you've heard it all before! ;-)

So where CAN I get an accountant? I jest, I jest...

Pete, there seem to be a lot of advertisers on these boards, or just do a search on it :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Sundial View Post
        Oh yada yada, you've heard it all before! ;-)

So where CAN I get an accountant? I jest, I jest...

Pete, there seem to be a lot of advertisers on these boards, or just do a search on it :-)
        see how many replies you have got. really "decent" and "accountant" doesn't go together.

Comment

Adverts are all very well, but I've been burned in the past by dealing with accountants who advertise.

I would much rather hear the first hand experience of people and make a judgment based on that rather than effectively pin-sticking in the yellow pages.

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
            FFS!
            Is that the name of a firm you could recommend?

Comment

Is that the name of a firm you could recommend?
              Fukcwit Financial Services. I've been with them.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Any recommendations?
                Personally I prefer a good local accountant rather than a large "bodyshop". Its more expensive but I prefer the personal service : and on the occasions I have been investigated they have gone all guns blazing against HMRC and I have defeated them easily every time.

Which area are you in?

Comment

Agree. The larger the accountant the crapper they are. Try Shout99 or PCG for IR35/contract review and insurance, for everything else the little high street chap is fine. Get HMRC booklets 480/490 off their webtulipe.
                  Last edited by xoggoth; 18 July 2009, 17:39.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Personally I prefer a good local accountant rather than a large "bodyshop". Its more expensive but I prefer the personal service : and on the occasions I have been investigated they have gone all guns blazing against HMRC and I have defeated them easily every time.

Which area are you in?
                    I'm in Hertfordshire, any local firms there you can recommend?

I don't like the idea of using a firm with lots of offices, would prefer the personal touch even if it costs a bit more.

Comment

Working...
                    X