• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there an argument for keeping IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASB View Post
    No, but there is a good argument for moving towards equality in the way income in all it's varying forms is taxed.

It is bizarre in my view that different sorts of income are charged at different rates. It is of course blindingly obvious that anybody who can control what "sort" of income they receive will do so.
    Quite. Can I interest you in a scheme that converts income into capital gain?

Last edited by Emigre; 6 July 2009, 15:41.
    Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
    "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
      Quite. Can I interest you in a scheme that converts income into capital gain?

By some strange coincidence I ran one of those for about 25 years. It also had a tendency to convert turnover into investment income at some points. Many years ago it had a tendency not to do this. The existence of the investment income surchange was, of course, purely a coincidence.

It is quite remarkable how MyCo's remuneration policy has tended to comprise of maximum rentention for me and smallest for the government. Can't think how that can possibly have happened.

Comment

IR35 - Better the devil you know ?

Maybe it would help if we had some way of defining self employment status ?

HMRC will not give a cast iron way of defining self employment, and so the uncertainity exists in regard to IR35.

IR35 is about proving a hypothetical employment relationship, not about proving self employment ( yes, there is a small difference ). Even defining employment is only done with respect to case law, although in some respects if you look at the preminent case on this, Ready Mixed Concrete V Minister of Pensions 1968, it is clear what needs to be in place for an employment relationship to exist.

Neither employment or self employment is defined in legislation from a tax point of view, and changing this may well provide more certainty.

But I can also see where HMRC and any government ( or potential government ) are trapped. If they produce clear legislation that says exactly what self employment and employment is, then everyone would use that to the best of their ability to construct arrangements that are the one they require. That could be worse for HMRC revenue than the current situation !

Phil

Comment

Working...
        X