• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - the road to Judicial Review

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
    Not much point in us writing to Mr Timms again is there?

Is it possible that perhaps this whole fiasco is causing a lot
    of embarassment
    to the Treasury and that Ms Kennedy is trying to
    distance herself from it?
    ooo I sincerely hope so!!!

cant wait for Timms to lose his seat at the next election...

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      The clerk of the JCHR is away until Friday. Parliament is now in summer recess, so things may be a bit slow for the next 82 days.

I guess the true upside in Parliament being in recess for 82 days is that they can't pass any more cr*p legislation.

I assume that Ministers still have to work during the recess? Nu Liebor wouldn't leave even a sinking ship without a pilot - would they?
      Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
      "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
        cant wait for Timms to lose his seat at the next election...
        Sadly, little or no chance of that happening:

East Ham is generally considered a safe Labour seat; Labour's Ron Leighton was MP for the old Newham North East from 1979 until his death in 1994, Stephen Timms has represented the seat since. The constituency has the largest proportion of non-white people in the UK; there is a significant Asian population, many of whom are Muslims. As a result the RESPECT Coalition targeted it for the 2005 election, hoping to benefit from opposition to the Iraq war, and taking second place.

Labour Stephen Timms 21,326
        Respect Abdul Khaliq Mian 8,171
        Conservative Sarah Macken 5,196
        Liberal Democrat Ann Haigh 4,296
        Christian Peoples David Bamber 580

I would have thought that his religious background would have given him a better understanding of what is "fair". Can only assume he prays to the wrong God.
        "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
          Sadly, little or no chance of that happening:

East Ham is generally considered a safe Labour seat; Labour's Ron Leighton was MP for the old Newham North East from 1979 until his death in 1994, Stephen Timms has represented the seat since. The constituency has the largest proportion of non-white people in the UK; there is a significant Asian population, many of whom are Muslims. As a result the RESPECT Coalition targeted it for the 2005 election, hoping to benefit from opposition to the Iraq war, and taking second place.

Labour Stephen Timms 21,326
          Respect Abdul Khaliq Mian 8,171
          Conservative Sarah Macken 5,196
          Liberal Democrat Ann Haigh 4,296
          Christian Peoples David Bamber 580

I would have thought that his religious background would have given him a better understanding of what is "fair". Can only assume he prays to the wrong God.

Anyone had a look at his expenses?
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Anyone had a look at his expenses?
            Yes. Sqeaky clean.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              having questioned officials closely on the impact of this proposal, very few would be affected, certainly not in the way that your attachment is suggesting
              Where did she think £200,000,000 was going to come from? Santa Claus!?

Comment

Originally posted by MuddyFunster View Post
                Where did she think £200,000,000 was going to come from? Santa Claus!?
                sniffs of ass covering to me....its getting hot in the kitchen...

just so I'm clear, if parliament is now in recess does that mean Timms doesnt have to do anything til they return from holiday?
                Last edited by smalldog; 23 July 2009, 12:35.

Comment

What Answers ??

Hello,

Following Jane Kennedy's email to DR in which she states:

"...having questioned officials closely on the impact of this proposal, very few would be affected, certainly not in the way that your attachment is suggesting. I would strongly advise those who are affected to write, giving their name and address, to their MPs or, if they are Isle of Man residents, write directly to Stephen Timms MP, at the Treasury. They will only get a reply from the Minister if they write via an MP."

Having sent a very detailed email to Mr Timms via my MP recently asking lots of direct questions specifically regarding my own particular case, I have just received the latest reply from Mr Timms, which goes as follows:

"As you may know, this legislation is the subject of a number of applications for judicial review. Permission was granted on 16th June for one of those cases to proceed to a substantive hearing. A date for that hearing is yet to be fixed. As the issues your constituent raises will be considered fully at the substantive judicial review hearing I'm sure that you will appreciate that it would be inappropriate for me to respond in detail to you at this time.

I should add that the Government took full account of the Convention rights before introducing the legislation in question, and considers that the legislation is fully compliant with those rights."

Therefore it may be worth informing Jane Kennedy that any questions we raise / have raised in the past are now being fobbed off with the "waiting for Judicial review" BS.

MajorGowen...

Comment

CTD Withdrawal

I have decided to withdraw my CTD for the full amount due to better interest rates elsewhere as has been discussed here previously.
                    Not that I'm paranoid but can anyone confirm that they have done likewise and HMRC coughed up?

Comment

Originally posted by MajorGowen View Post
                      Hello,

"As you may know, this legislation is the subject of a number of applications for judicial review. Permission was granted on 16th June for one of those cases to proceed to a substantive hearing. A date for that hearing is yet to be fixed. As the issues your constituent raises will be considered fully at the substantive judicial review hearing I'm sure that you will appreciate that it would be inappropriate for me to respond in detail to you at this time.

I should add that the Government took full account of the Convention rights before introducing the legislation in question, and considers that the legislation is fully compliant with those rights."

MajorGowen...
                      When did you get your reply?

The second paragraph is, at the very least, misleading. The JCHR
                      passed the finance bill, without being told that it contained retrospective
                      changes.

Now that same committee want Timms to explain himself. I see he
                      didn't feel compelled to mention that.

Comment

Working...
                      X