• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - the road to Judicial Review

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrospective law making

How very very Brown. Get Joe Public to warm to the idea of retrospective law making by using MP's as the bait (Targets for which the public can vent their destain)... Sure it will cost them a few thousand here and there but look at the flip side. The real prize:- Brown could then set the dogs on those naughty contractor types who have deprived his government of all that lovely revenue and the public would actually think he is doing the right thing.... And people say you can't trust a politician....
    Let the financial healing commence

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Splash View Post
      How very very Brown. Get Joe Public to warm to the idea of retrospective law making by using MP's as the bait (Targets for which the public can vent their destain)... Sure it will cost them a few thousand here and there but look at the flip side. The real prize:- Brown could then set the dogs on those naughty contractor types who have deprived his government of all that lovely revenue and the public would actually think he is doing the right thing.... And people say you can't trust a politician....
      Except, unlike MPs, we cannot be whipped into submission. Despite all their protestations, I can't see any MPs having the balls to actually go to court.

Our day in court is already booked. And it will be a court of law, not the Kangaroo court of Brown & Co.

Comment

HMRC Investigates taxes of 27 MP's

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8311868.stm

The tax affairs of 27 MPs are being investigated by HM Revenue and Customs, the department has confirmed. HMRC said it would not reveal the identities of the MPs involved or elaborate on what is being looked into.
        The move follows a warning in July from HMRC head Dave Hartnett that MPs would be placed under extra scrutiny in revelations about expenses claims.
        A spokeswoman said: "Inquiries are an integral part of HMRC's work ensuring that everyone pays the right tax." She added: "An inquiry does not necessarily mean that there is a problem. Most inquiries are quickly closed".

Please, please let one of these be Timms.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleTurtle View Post
          Most inquiries are quickly closed
          Quickly my arse.

According to a recent FOI, they've currently got 28,000 people under enquiry under Code of Practice 8. How many of these will be closed quickly? Maybe the 0.1% who happen to be MPs!!!

It's about time someone independent got inside HMRC and found out what the f*** they are playing at.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleTurtle View Post
            HMRC Investigates taxes of 27 MP's

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8311868.stm

The tax affairs of 27 MPs are being investigated by HM Revenue and Customs, the department has confirmed. HMRC said it would not reveal the identities of the MPs involved or elaborate on what is being looked into.
            The move follows a warning in July from HMRC head Dave Hartnett that MPs would be placed under extra scrutiny in revelations about expenses claims.
            A spokeswoman said: "Inquiries are an integral part of HMRC's work ensuring that everyone pays the right tax." She added: "An inquiry does not necessarily mean that there is a problem. Most inquiries are quickly closed".

Please, please let one of these be Timms.
            This is a waste of money - no MP will be brought to Court over this. MP's allowances are free of tax and that is written into primary legislation.

This is being done for political reasons and it further demonstates that HMRC have became a political department.

The tail is wagging the dog.
            There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Some attention from The Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/c...re-all-in.html

Comment

"Imagine that you have been driving, perfectly legally, through a 30 mile an hour zone at a speed of 25 mph.

"Imagine then your reaction when, five years later, you receive multiple fines as a decision has been taken to change, retrospectively, the speed limit to 20.

"Last week I replied to Sir Thomas. I was dazed that, as someone who has always been open about my expenses, his arbitrary decision should link me with the abuses known all too well to voters."

Ex Labour minister Frank Field MP

Couldn't have put it better myself Frank.

(from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8312916.stm)

Comment

Originally posted by Toocan View Post
                  "Imagine that you have been driving, perfectly legally, through a 30 mile an hour zone at a speed of 25 mph.

"Imagine then your reaction when, five years later, you receive multiple fines as a decision has been taken to change, retrospectively, the speed limit to 20.

"Last week I replied to Sir Thomas. I was dazed that, as someone who has always been open about my expenses, his arbitrary decision should link me with the abuses known all too well to voters."

Ex Labour minister Frank Field MP

Couldn't have put it better myself Frank.

(from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8312916.stm)
                  anyone have Frank as their MP. Get writing now!

http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/cons...ies/birkenhead

I've written anyway :-

'I note with interest your recent quote with regard to the unfairness of retrospection. I agree totally. May I you refer you to the attached letter from the Joint Committee on Human Rights to Stephen Timms with regard to Section 58 of the Finance Act 2008.
                  In addition there is a judicial review underway which is challenging the retrospective elements of the legislation.

http://www.publications.parliament.u...3/13308.htm#a6

This was passed without fanfare last year and it contains retrospective changes to tax law going back to 1987. These are masked as 'clarification' similar to Sir Thomas expenses rule changes, and will bankrupt me and probably cost me my house. I hope you are as strong in your objection to this retrospective change as the one that affects you directly.
                  Last edited by poppy01; 18 October 2009, 09:47. Reason: additional info

Comment

Originally posted by poppy01 View Post
                    anyone have Frank as their MP. Get writing now!
                    [email protected]

Comment

Parliament can do what it likes and does so: the War Crimes Act of 1991 was retrospective, as are all manner of tax laws (most recently, and controversially, Section 58 of the Finance Act 2008).

I still think section 58 falls foul of ECHR.

Comment

Working...
                      X