• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - the road to Judicial Review

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having viewed all the comments, it seems that the HMRC's arguments are drifting away from the issue: The retrospective nature of BN66.

Oh, and if the mutants at HMRC are reading this....go bounce on a cactus.

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
      I would be interested to hear what bits of this thread were used in court.

Anyone remember?
      I'm sure I remember someone saying "I, and all my friends, are clueless idiots"... shortly followed by "suck my noddy".

Comment

I would be interested to hear what bits of this thread were used in court.

Anyone remember?

Was stuff about the fact that *some* were aware of the risks of using the scheme .......risk has a time focus ......

I'd wager that NO_ONE_realised_we'd have_such_a_time_risk with this scheme due to HMRC fannying about.....

Comment

Originally posted by Plonker View Post
          Having viewed all the comments, it seems that the HMRC's arguments are drifting away from the issue: The retrospective nature of BN66.

Oh, and if the mutants at HMRC are reading this....go bounce on a cactus.
          yes thats what I thought too, if they are now starting to discuss if the scheme works is that actually the point here??? I thought it wasnt....this is about retro legislation..

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
            yes thats what I thought too, if they are now starting to discuss if the scheme works is that actually the point here??? I thought it wasnt....this is about retro legislation..
            Thanks all for the updates today.

I queried last night but probably got overlooked with all the other posts, but is the fact that HMRC bypassed the JCHR not an issue here as well? Will this rear its head in court? Or is it a muted point as JCHR decided not to pursue?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ContractIn View Post
              Thanks all for the updates today.

I queried last night but probably got overlooked with all the other posts, but is the fact that HMRC bypassed the JCHR not an issue here as well? Will this rear its head in court? Or is it a muted point as JCHR decided not to pursue?
              Cheers
              This really is going better than I could have possibly hoped. So why am I still nervous

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                Although proving that the scheme worked under the old wording determines if BN66 is a 'clarification' or in fact a 'modification'.
                If the scheme never worked then the retrospectiveness is a moot point.

Comment

Originally posted by nuffsaid View Post
                  Although proving that the scheme worked under the old wording determines if BN66 is a 'clarification' or in fact a 'modification'.
                  If the scheme never worked then the retrospectiveness is a moot point.
                  but, thats not what the JR is about at all is it. That was an argument for another day, for the legal challenge that never happened. Why isnt the judge just telling them to get back to the point?

Comment

Originally posted by poppy01 View Post
                    This really is going better than I could have possibly hoped. So why am I still nervous
                    Maybe the fact that the judge might be taken in by HMRC's arguments, weak as they may be.

They essentially seem to be saying, these are a bunch of tax-dodgers and we want their money, and you can't stand in our way, because we are parliment! Because its only 'fair'
                    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Maybe the fact that the judge might be taken in by HMRC's arguments, weak as they may be.

They essentially seem to be saying, these are a bunch of tax-dodgers and we want their money, and you can't stand in our way, because we are parliment! Because its only 'fair'
                      I love the way how they always bring nurses into the "fairness" argument, even though millions are being wasted on management consultants for the NHS.

Funny that the case before ours yesterday was a midwife appealing against suspension for forging a doctor's note. The Judge found the case against her.
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X