• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - the road to Judicial Review

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
    The British public will have their voice next year and may they cast their votes appropriately.
    ...and I look forward to ticking the box next to DR's name next year!

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
      A worthy note of caution. However, there is no doubt that some of the MPs made what are starting to look like fraudulent claims for which they should be appropriately punished (not suitable for public office would be a start point), while others did only what most would probably do in a poorly controlled expenses environment. What is not obvious in this case is why they simply didn't just draw a line under the whole thing and declare that it is now tight and above all transparent.

The fact that they are claiming infringements of Human Rights for reclaims of £500 beggars belief when you look at what they are trying to stiff us with.

The British public will have their voice next year and may they cast their votes appropriately.
      From today's Guardian

"It is thought that a few MPs are facing bills they simply cannot repay in the short term and are looking to take Legg to court on the grounds of natural justice. Harman has become the focus of blame for many Labour MPs angry that they are being required to pay tens of thousands of pounds they were told they could claim."

So Harriet 'Court of Public Opinion' Harman is being hoisted by her own
      petard.

(Imagine not being able to pay tens of thousands of pounds, try hundreds
      of thousands.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post
        How about a simple email to every MP asking the following:

Do you think that retrospective laws or rules should be applied to anyone:
        1) Who has played by the rules they understood them to be at the time.
        2) Declared to the authorities they are obliged to report to, claims for monies.
        3) Declare retrospection as immoral and against the laws governing open disclosure of monies.
        4) Support a Commons / public debate to abolish retrospection for any activities covered by 1,2 and 3.

And will you support the position that based on the above, you object to retrospective action or legislation?
        I tried to get my MP's support or view on this matter when I first wrote to him (Nick Hurd) and got no indication or support what so ever from his repsonses, only that he will forward my concerns on to Mr Timms. However things have now changed so will follow up.

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
          "It is thought that a few MPs are facing bills they simply cannot repay in the short term and are looking to take Legg to court on the grounds of natural justice.
          Any ideas where I can get a list of these MPs?

I'd like to offer them some advice.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            Any ideas where I can get a list of these MPs?

I'd like to offer them some advice.
            I've been on to Stuart Bell and Bill Etherington. I think it will
            be a drip feed of names speaking out.

Comment

do we know when we might hear about the JCHR reaction?

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
                I've been on to Stuart Bell and Bill Etherington. I think it will
                be a drip feed of names speaking out.
                Alan Simpson seems to be kicking off too.

I've got a list of virtually all 650 MPs email addresses, so I might just send them a mailshot.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                  do we know when we might hear about the JCHR reaction?
                  I am still waiting for a reply.

However, perhaps someone else would lilke to drop them an email. The address is on this page:

http://www.parliament.uk/parliamenta...ct_details.cfm

Comment

sent them a mail...I notice Miss Weddiecombe's PA is on hols til early Nov...I wonder does this mean she isnt picking up any mails til this date...

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                      sent them a mail...I notice Miss Weddiecombe's PA is on hols til early Nov...I wonder does this mean she isnt picking up any mails til this date...
                      I suspect this might be as a result of her being deluged by emails. I'm sure large swathes of the public might have taken a dim view of her outspoken comments.

Comment

Working...
                      X