• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - the road to Judicial Review

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Yes I'm sure you've hit the nail on the head there but it works out in everyone's interests if they pursue a different line of attack.

Also, I get the impression their Barrister is not as sharp as our's, so I'm glad they have elected to stand aside from next week's proceedings.
    Agree totally, it inadvertantly helps all.... As for PWC counsel, well not the best performances I have ever seen.
    - SL -

Comment

tax due calculations

I just got another years closure notice. I've already had closures for previous years and the amounts are suspended upon appeal so it was no surprise to receive another. However, the bit i cant understand is how the figures go from owing them 600 to owing them circa £20K for that year and then the next statement after they've suspended collection they suddenly say they owe me £2K !!!

Cant make head nor tail of the statement there are so many adjustments - one thing added, another credited, then added, then credited again. Some items appear 6 times now, all the amounts varying slightly each time such that its completely impossible to follow. I cant see this ever going away - imagine how these statements will look if this goes on 10 years !

At least they give me interest on the £2K - I think i get higher rate from IR than i can invest it anywhere else . Does anyone know what rate they pay as opposed to charge currently ?

Comment

Originally posted by travellingknob View Post
        At least they give me interest on the £2K - I think i get higher rate from IR than i can invest it anywhere else . Does anyone know what rate they pay as opposed to charge currently ?
        A measly 0.5%.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/interest-repayments.htm

Whereas the rate they charge for late payment is 3%.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/interest-late.htm

Comment

I just got another years closure notice. I've already had closures for previous years and the amounts are suspended upon appeal so it was no surprise to receive another. However, the bit i cant understand is how the figures go from owing them 600 to owing them circa £20K for that year and then the next statement after they've suspended collection they suddenly say they owe me £2K !!!

Cant make head nor tail of the statement there are so many adjustments - one thing added, another credited, then added, then credited again. Some items appear 6 times now, all the amounts varying slightly each time such that its completely impossible to follow. I cant see this ever going away - imagine how these statements will look if this goes on 10 years !

Have you forwarded to montpelier?

Comment

The HMRC statements re complicated because the tax is paid in half yearly andd the statemetn always refer to this years payment for last years earnings.

I had to get my accountant to expalin it to me and I still could not follow it but that is the basic principle.

Collection is suspended pending the decision from the JR.

Comment

Originally posted by seadog View Post
              The HMRC statements re complicated because the tax is paid in half yearly andd the statemetn always refer to this years payment for last years earnings.

I had to get my accountant to expalin it to me and I still could not follow it but that is the basic principle.

Collection is suspended pending the decision from the JR.
              If we lose the JR, presumably MP will appeal. So will collection be due immediatley, or will it be delayed again until after the appeal ?

Comment

Originally posted by rosbiff View Post
                If we lose the JR, presumably MP will appeal. So will collection be due immediatley, or will it be delayed again until after the appeal ?
                1. we are not going to lose.
                2. the commissioners have to approve before they can collect. And thats not a slum-dunk.

Comment

Speak to MP as soon as. Also be careful with any payments on current amounts of tax due outside the scheme, as they will immediately accept these as payments against the closure notices if not appealed.
                  - SL -

Comment

FOI response

For information.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...incoming-64791

It is not entirely clear whether the figures refer to the number of individuals who received CNs or the total number of CNs issued.

The thing which really stands out is the 300 in 2006.

Montpelier are only aware of 4 people receiving CNs in 2006 ie. the 4 test cases who would have received around a dozen CNs in total.

Does anyone have any theories as to what this 300 figure is about?

Comment

Jr

anybody (DR?) got a good web site to find the details of the times/court room etc for next week ?
                      (googled "old bailey" but got all sorts of garbage)

Comment

Working...
                      X