• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - the road to Judicial Review

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slobbo View Post
    If they are breaking the law who gets and what penalties can be applied to the HRMC for not answering FOI requests?
    Based on past breaches of the Act, most notably by the MoD, the most they get is a slap on the wrist from the Information Commissioner.

The Information Commissioner is so snowed under with complaints that there is a backlog of up to 12 months.

FOI is just another Nu Labour gimmick which promised a lot but delivers little.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
      Many thanks Emigre.

If I was Mr YouKnowWho (TM) I'd be tulliping myself by now.
      Thanks to Emigre and Ratican for attending court and the updates - great work!

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        This doesn't surprise me. PwC have very little at stake from a corporate point of view. They are not representing their own clients, since they never marketed a scheme to end-users. This was in effect a "class action" they hawked around various parties to drum up enough money to go to court. They will be taking a nice cut what ever happens.

Unlike Montpelier, they have no direct incentive to win (the £3M in loan repayments), and they have no future business which would be in jeopardy if they lost. Also, their reputation is not on the line over this.

The more I think about it, the more I'd rather they went their own way, or just left it to our team to fight the JR.

Ironically, the people they are representing might actually be better off if PwC took a back seat.
        I think you are spot on there (as usual) DR - you have to look at the incentive to win and if PWC will get paid no matter what the outcome with very little other fall out, you can be sure their finest legal team will be utilised elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by SLB View Post
          Thanks to Emigre and Ratican for attending court and the updates - great work!
          hear hear

Comment

I feel flattered by all the thanks - don't usually get it from clientco - it speaks volumes for the kind of people on this thread. Thank you.

We are a large group and by each doing a little we can get much done and achieve the unthinkable. DR puts in a huge effort. Attendance yesterday was my thanks to him.

I look forward to the actual JR in January and hope to meet some more of you then over a celebratory drink or two.
            Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
            "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Dilemma

Ok so for talking sake you've got a bit of money stashed away in case things don't go the way we want them to.

Do you A: Use it as a deposit on a house as you need to put a roof over your lovely wife and 3 months old baby
              Or B: Leave it where it is and take the risk that actually your going to end up bankrupt and not be able to buy a house in the not so distant future !

Mortgages are hard to come by for us contractor types and even more so under the current climate but with bankruptcy I'm presuming it's game over and you'll be renting forever !

A dilemma which I'm facing right now.

I would also like to extend my thanks to all who attended yesterday and for the continued support this forum has given to us all.

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
                Ok so for talking sake you've got a bit of money stashed away in case things don't go the way we want them to.

Do you A: Use it as a deposit on a house as you need to put a roof over your lovely wife and 3 months old baby
                Or B: Leave it where it is and take the risk that actually your going to end up bankrupt and not be able to buy a house in the not so distant future !

Mortgages are hard to come by for us contractor types and even more so under the current climate but with bankruptcy I'm presuming it's game over and you'll be renting forever !

A dilemma which I'm facing right now.

I would also like to extend my thanks to all who attended yesterday and for the continued support this forum has given to us all.
                How about (c) - you give all of your money to your wife and buy the house in her name - that way, they've got nothing to come after you for.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyguitar View Post
                  How about (c) - you give all of your money to your wife and buy the house in her name - that way, they've got nothing to come after you for.
                  Unfortunately this doesn't work.

http://www.insolvency-advice.co.uk/B...e-Property.php

More here:

http://myvesta.org.uk/forum/general-...tcy-t2422.html

Comment

I actually spoke to the tax office and in the cases where you owe the tax man they will take a second charge over property to settle a debt. In the case of buying a house you would hope the appreciation now we seem to have come out of the recent dip is probably better than sticking it into an account.

Comment

[QUOTE=lucozade;1004887]

QUOTE]

Or C:.....Go to Vegas and put it all on RED.

Sounds stupid but; If we loose

Option A - You loose your house and are made bankrupt
                      Option B - Bankrupt
                      Option C - You may double your money and be able to pay HMRC or....you are bankrupt

In fact...Option C seems like the best idea!! Who's in?

Comment

Working...
                      X