• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this threat illegal ??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this threat illegal ??

I have just been given a contract extension for when my current contract which finishes at the end of June, my agency sent the contract extension to me by email with the statement below on the 2nd June :-
    PLEASE RETURN THIS CONTRACT WITHIN 7 DAYS OF RECEIPT, FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN DELAY OF INVOICE PAYMENT.

I have copied it exactly as sent all capitalised and in bold is it legal to make threats this way, and this from an agency that claims their 25% margin is the norm ??

Thanks in advance
    Sean

Had to read that twice to see what you were getting at, then I saw it.

No it is not generally "legal" for them to threaten to delay/withhold payment for the current contract if you don't sign the extension (unless something in the current contract that says so) but to be honest I would not read that much into it as it's in neither contract just in the email it's self

Its something agents generally stick on the end of communications when they are late sending out the extension contracts, when further delayed return could justifiably delay payment of funds owed under the extension and this agency probably just leave it on the end of everything. Most likely laziness / stupidity on behalf of sender, not some nefarious master plan to force you to sign the extension

As to 25%, very high end of normal but not totally outrageous, "blame" for it lays with you and client, either them for offering too much or you for accepting too little. Get to know your market and value better and negotiate hard at extension time

Comment

The Plot thickens

Thanks for that.

The plot thickens though, having spoken to the client whom I am very happy working for, the agency is supposed to be working on a 10% margin ? a figure determined before any contracts having been signed and a standard agency margin for NHS contracts.

The client wasn't aware of the agency deception regarding margins.

So from that I would guess that it was actually trying to make me sign quickly without question.

Thanks
      Sean

Comment

Some clients take an interest in such things. It's easy for them to find out, if you're open about you're rate, and they're on the ball.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Some clients take an interest in such things. It's easy for them to find out, if you're open about you're rate, and they're on the ball.
          Which is number one reason why agencies tell contractors not to discuss rates with client or other contractors

If people don't know they cannot complain

I forsee a 10% pay raise in your future Maze if you play your card right

Comment

Or it is a standard agency letter and they are used to contracts being sent back to them after the extension has started...and what they mean is that invoices related to the extension will be delayed.

Comment

Working...
            X