• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What should accountants do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should accountants do?

this is my first year of my own company as been with an umbrella until now.
    its come to that time for p11s and self assessments.
    My current account, charging what I consider to be a lot, and yet I am doing all the work, unless i am missing something and they do a lot once i provide all the info.
    What services do others get from their accountants and how much?

Has it occurred to you to search this topic?

Have you checked your T&Cs or engagement letter? That'll tell you.

Should you not have asked these questions when the accountant was engaged - not a year after?

Comment

I've never filled out a P11 or an SA, I've been assuming my accountant did it?

I did email them on Friday but they haven’t replied yet.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Self assesments? What the feck you doing them now for. The earlier you do them the more time they have to investigate.

Comment

I was more interested in what services other people get for their money?
          Fill out the various forms and get them checked?, or do their accountants fill them out and just require a signature

I did read the t and c`s it said 'file' the various forms, i assumed that meant doing some work towards calculation and data entry and not just posting what I type in.

I received an email saying self assessment had to be submitted to them by the end of July

Comment

I use Accountsnet which costs £69+VAT a month and I file all my expenses/dividends/income etc. online. They do all my P11's/PAYE etc, they just ask you to submit all the necessary information in time.

SA's are extra, but when you look into it;

a) You, and you alone, are resonsible for the content of the SA, not your accountant (agent).
            b) You still need to provide them with all the information anyway (that's the time consuming bit), so I ended up doing it myself online.
            Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
            "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
              Self assesments? What the flip you doing them now for. The earlier you do them the more time they have to investigate.
              Hadn't though of that, although I always leave mine to the last minute anyway.

It's been noted though, cheers SP.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Hadn't though of that, although I always leave mine to the last minute anyway.

It's been noted though, cheers SP.
                I was informed by someone that they have 18months from the Jan deadline to investigate your SA. If you do it in April you're giving them another 9 months on top of that

I now do mine in late December.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                  I was informed by someone that they have 18months from the Jan deadline to investigate your SA. If you do it in April you're giving them another 9 months on top of that

I now do mine in late December.
                  It's 12 months. But fairly typically HMRC contradict themselves:-

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/cop11.htm#g

Tax returns
                  We normally have from the time we receive your tax return until 12 months from the fixed filing date (usually 31 January) to tell you that we intend to start enquiries.

If you send in your tax return late we will have until a year after the quarter date following the receipt of your tax return. Quarter dates are 31 January, 30 April, 31 July and 31 October. We have the same period to open an enquiry into any amendment that you make to your tax return after the fixed filing date.

Tax return examples
                  If we receive your 2003-04 tax return

on 23 September 2004, we can start an enquiry at any time up to 31 January 2006
                  on 7 February 2005, your tax return is late because the filing date was 31 January 2005, we can start an enquiry at any time up to 30 April 2006.
                  But they also say:-

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/enquiries.htm

Timing and conduct of enquiries
                  We normally have 12 months from the date you sent us your return to tell you that we intend to start enquiries.
                  I wonder if the date received is one of the risk factors used in deciding whther to open an enquiry though.

Comment

Working...
                  X