• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

got this regarding opt-out and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got this regarding opt-out and IR35

Admittedly I don't understand why I need to be concerned about opt-out, I had concluded from reading other threads on CUK that it was better to opt-in?

URGENT CALL TO ACTION TO PROTECT YOUR INTERIM MANAGEMENT MARKET

When the government introduced the Conduct of Employment Agencies regulations in 2003 they permitted companies to 'opt out' of the regulations. It covered people like you working through your own personal service company or an umbrella company.

The Department for Business Enterprise and Regulatory Reform started work in March this year to revoke the opt-out provision as they had not expected temporary workers using umbrella companies to be able to use the provisions.

There is a real danger that all personal service companies will also lose this provision.

From the Interim Executive's perspective if this law is passed it will have a detrimental effect on your IR35 status.

The costs of the broader impact of the legislation will impact negatively on day rates achievable.

Money Laundering, IR35 and Settlement Legislation are all examples of where the government has 'over cooked' it and they are about to do so again.

The consultation period ends on Thursday 11th June and you should put your voice to their consultation via their on line portal survey - www.berr.gov.uk/consultations/page50428.html

We would encourage all of you to take a minute or two to participate in this survey and get the point across that personal service companies are quite different to umbrella companies and that revoking the opt-out/opt-in provision for personal service companies would have a severe impact on the interim management sector as a whole (one which the government itself is keen to use more of), your profitability, your IR35 status and undermine the flexibility of the British labour market which has been one of the key fuels of our economic success.

Thank you - it's your future!

www.brooklandsexecutives.com
    So the covering letter is vague too - I hardly call that a reasoned explanation as to why I should do anything - all I see are threats.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

That's complete bulltulip. DBERR are only runnig a consultation at the moment, nothing has been decided. The objective is to clarify employement status more closely, by making a clear difference between agency temp and similar workers and genuine freelancers. If anything, it would take you further away from IR35, not towards it. That said, the survey is important and you should consider doing it.

And what's a Personal Service Company anyway? There's no such thing...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Welcome back Malvolio

Comment

From the Interim Executive's perspective if this law is passed it will have a detrimental effect on your IR35 status.

The costs of the broader impact of the legislation will impact negatively on day rates achievable.

What a load of scaremongering bollocks.

Comment

Working...
        X