• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Storage - expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Storage - expense?

Does anyone know if I can legitmatly claim the costs of a small self storage unit as a business expense (£45 a month)?

The majority will be business stuff, with the odd box or two of personal affects.......

Claim it and make sure you can demonstrate it's not a scam if they investigate?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Claim it and make sure you can demonstrate it's not a scam if they investigate?
      Yeah, it's not like they're going to raid the place and examine every item. Take a few pictures of the storage space with all the business equipment loaded in - that should keep HMRC happy.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~ View Post
        Does anyone know if I can legitmatly claim the costs of a small self storage unit as a business expense (£45 a month)?

The majority will be business stuff, with the odd box or two of personal affects.......
        Then its not wholly and exclusively for business is it? So no, you shouldnt claim it as a business expense.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Then its not wholly and exclusively for business is it? So no, you shouldnt claim it as a business expense.
          Quite right. But if the business rents it and the individual happens to put a couple of things in there and repays an approrpiate part of the rent then that is arguably different.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~ View Post

If you are using a Limited Company then your company can spend its money on whatever the Director(s) think appropriate. HMRC may challenge those expenses during an inspection, but if you have a reason for using it then that's fine. If your company has any "stuff" and no premises then I am sure that you would be able to come up with a reason for not keeping that stuff at home.

If you are using an Umbrella company then they will probably have their own rules about what you can and cannot claim, afterall you would be an employee of theirs. Years ago, I worked at Tesco for a while and although I never tried it, I don't think that they would have let me put through self-storage space on an expense claim.

Comment

is the

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              The "wholly and exclusively" rule is really to do with original intention, not the final outcome.

So if you intended to have an expense that is "wholly and exclusively" (can I also add the word necessary, as this is a Ltd company not a sole trader) then you can claim it, even if you, afterwards decide to have some private element as long as the private element is not be "material"....... From time to time if the HMRC question the validity of the expense (especially when negotiating a dispensation), I will point out the "any personal use is not material" and provided I can show this, they are happy to allow it.

I have a 2nd BT line which I claim 100% of the cost because my business Fax is attached to it, and I rarely use it for personal use, and therefore my personal use is not material...... My broadband also attached is also 100% business use. I may use it occasionally to surf the net for personal use, but again this is not material because I have 3 business VOIP phones that also use it, have a secure internet based accounting package available for my and clients use, I do the bulk of my businesses using the internet etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by Little'Old Me View Post
                The "wholly and exclusively" rule is really to do with original intention, not the final outcome.
                I think I need to go to Las Vegas with the sole intention of it being a business trip to check out the latest technologies

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                  I think I need to go to Las Vegas with the sole intention of it being a business trip to check out the latest technologies
                  Yes you could - if you can prove that is your intention when you made the booking is to check out the latest technologies and it was "wholly, necessary and exclusively" for you business.

If then decided to take an extra day or too for personal reasons its not a problem.........

Where you'd have a problem is if you booked a holiday first, and then tried to turn it into a business trip by later paying to attend a conference. Then your original intention is to have a holiday not have a business trip, so the whole thing (except the entry fee to the conference) would not be allowable.

Comment

[QUOTE=Little'Old Me;797709]Yes you could - if you can prove that is your intention when you made the booking is to check out the latest technologies and it was "wholly, necessary and exclusively" for you business.
                    QUOTE]

Am I not right in saying that a business expenses need to be "necessary". This only applies to employment expenses.

Comment

Working...
                    X