• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charging mobile bills to company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging mobile bills to company

believe HMRCs advice on expenses is solely and exclusively for business use, but Ihave a £30 a month contract and genuinely need a lot of minutes for business calls and it seems wasteful to get another contract just for the business calls.

Would I be okay to bill say £15 a month to my company? What do other folks here do?

Thanks!

Originally posted by yetanotherone View Post
    believe HMRCs advice on expenses is solely and exclusively for business use, but Ihave a £30 a month contract and genuinely need a lot of minutes for business calls and it seems wasteful to get another contract just for the business calls.

Would I be okay to bill say £15 a month to my company? What do other folks here do?

Thanks!
    Why not contact the phone operator and ask them to transfer the contract from a personal one to a business one and give them your company's details (including Bank Account Details)? That way, you can claim the whole bill.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Whs..

Comment

I have found phone companies don't seem to want to do that for some reason.

Confused about claiming for business phone calls because this

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/bim47820.htm

says you can apportion for business calls on a home line, so presumably same for mobile, but other places on the site suggest you can't.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I run my phone through the business. I have a business account with Vodafone.
          threenine.co.uk
          Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Stick it all through the business. HMRC arent bothered about mobiles anymore.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              I have found phone companies don't seem to want to do that for some reason.

Confused about claiming for business phone calls because this

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/bim47820.htm

says you can apportion for business calls on a home line, so presumably same for mobile, but other places on the site suggest you can't.
              Some may have their reasons. I can understand if a mobile company wanting to enforce their contract term, but some are flexible enough, as at the end of the day, they are getting the money, whether it's from you or your company.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Thansk a lot folks - folowing the advice on that HMRC link I'll apportion half of my mobile bill to the company and I'll also do half of my broadband as I didn't realise I could do that!

Comment

Thanks to Rebecca Benneyworth on AccountingWeb for the following article published this week.

A single mobile phone provided by the employer on which an employee can make private calls is tax free. Until April 2006, employers could provide an unlimited number of "perk" phones without an employee incurring a tax charge, but now there is a single phone limit.

A company phone, however, is one where the contract to provide the phone is in the name of the company (or employer). If the phone is in the name of the employee the exemption does not apply, and the phone will be taxable to the extent that it is used privately. This can produce a substantial tax charge - see below.

If an employee has a second phone in the company name on which private calls are made this is fully taxable – although employees may choose which is the benefit phone for the year. Details of how to compute the benefit in kind on a taxable phone are below.

At present BlackBerrys and other PDA’s are regarded as computers, but you should bear in mind that with advances in telephone technology this could change.

Computing the benefit in kind

Where a phone is taxable, the first step is to accumulate the total of all of the bills for the tax year. This total can be reduced by deducting the costs which relate wholly and exclusively to the business use.

Unfortunately air time charges (minimum contract price) are not wholly and exclusively business where the phone had private use as they provide the phone for private as well as business use, so no deduction is available in respect of the basic contract charges. Only "out of bundle" minutes relating to business calls would therefore be deducted, leaving the full contract payments plus any private out of bundle minutes as the taxable benefit.

There would also be a benefit calculated at 20% of the list price of the handset, but as these are often free of charge in relation to contract phones, this may not be an issue.

HMRC Example

The following example is provided in the Employment Income Manual, and although in connection with an employee provided phone, is quoted in other parts of the manual.

“EIM 32951. A construction engineer often works out of the office on construction sites. She uses a mobile phone so that she can keep in touch with the office. The phone is mainly used for business calls.

The tariff for the mobile phone includes up to 10 minutes of free calls each month. In one month she pays £22, which is the rental charge only, because her total calls, all of which were business calls, amounted to 8 minutes. No deduction can be permitted because no expense has been incurred in making the business calls.

The following month she pays £28, which is £22 for rental and £6 for calls. Calls that are charged are paid for at a rate of 20p per minute. In the month she made calls totalling 40 minutes, of which 30 minutes were for business and 10 minutes were private. A deduction should be permitted for the cost of business calls. The amount that can be deducted is £4.50, which is 75% of the call charges, because 75% of the total call time was made up of business calls.”

Phone in employee name

Where the phone contract is in the name of the employee, the benefit is calculated in the same way as described above, so no deduction is available for contract charges. However, when a phone is provided in this way, the payments made by the employer should really be put through the payroll, as the phone is not taxed under the benefit in kind rules. The company is paying a liability due by the employee, and this counts as pay for tax and NIC purposes. This means that Class 1 NIC's, not Class 1A are due on the payments, with a consequent employee liability unless they earn in excess of the Upper Earnings limit. This issue is likely to become more common next year due to the huge hike we have seen in the Upper Earnings Limit.

And the VAT

When the phone is in the name of the employer, VAT may be recovered in respect of the business use. The employer should apportion the VAT recovery - HMRC accept a sample based approach to restricting the VAT rather than requiring detailed analysis of overy bill.

If the phone is in the employee's name then no VAT is recoverable, as the VAT is not incurred by the employer.
                  Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                  "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Mobile phone

Originally posted by cykophysh39 View Post
                    I run my phone through the business. I have a business account with Vodafone.
                    I do exactly the same

Comment

Working...
                    X