• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help - US contract for Brit repatriating from HK!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - US contract for Brit repatriating from HK!

Here's my situation:

- I have lived and worked in Hong Kong for the last 3.5 years, running a limited company as sole employee, IT contracting to various clients. Nice simple tax legislation here thankfully
    - I previously lived all my life and was tax resident in the UK until 2005 when I moved to HK. I am currently non-resident from UK tax perspective.
    - I will move back to the UK into my old house on 1st May 2009 and originally planned to become UK tax resident from that date forward (split year treatment protecting the last of my Hong Kong income - i.e. upto end April - from UK tax).
    - Am now (unexpectedly) negotiating an 8-month contract with a US company which would see me work 3 weeks out of every 4 in the US and the other week work remotely from my home in the UK. As far as the 2009 US tax year goes, I estimate I will do <183 days so believe I have the ability to remain a non-resident alien from a US perspective although this might be complicated by the timing of the contract start (possibly 30th March) and my current residence in Hong Kong.
    - The US company prefers me to work through one of their established third-party payroll agencies in the US although I could insist on a different structure if required - including a foreign entity. I only have the Hong Kong company at this time and have never contracted in the UK.
    - The US company prefers to pay me a blended daily rate inclusive of my travel and living expenses in the US and I'm concerned about whether I will be able to file deductions for my actual expenses (with HMRC and/or the IRS).

Optimising my tax is clearly a major goal, but my priority right now is understanding the legal and tax implications so that I can structure a contract and agree a rate knowing what tax I will have to pay.

As you can see, my situation is quite complex and I would really appreciate advice from someone who has been through a similar personal experience (at least in terms of the US/ UK setup) and/or recommendations of advisory firms that have the required international tax planning experience.

TIA
    Phil

Us/uk

I worked in the US in 2002/2003 expecting to be overseas for a long time, got assigned by US company to work back in London! Upshot - ended up on self assessment and owed back taxes from January 2004 to May 2002. Not funny at all and unable to shake off SA with hector.

My advice - keep your HK company and especially your personal HK bank account.

Stay out of the UK less than 90 days each year, ignore the 183 rule for UK, the average is less than 90 days over 4 year period.

Do not set up accounting/limited in the UK.

Find some where else to live when working from home, anywhere will do but not the UK.

You will need working visa for the US as they will cotton on quickly to the vists every four weeks and they will come looking if your contact details at immigration have the slightest mistake in the address telephone number.

Fortunately for you IR and Immigration are not efficiently linked.

Comment

yes what are you going to say to immigration every time you go in?

If immigration is not a problem then why come back to the UK for that one week in 4 - hardly seems worth it - all the jet lag and the fares, unless you have family in the UK of course.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Live in the Isle of Man.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I was going to recommend the Channel Islands, the weather is better.

Guernsey is affordable and direct flights to Gatwick.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X