• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being charged for interviews/Jobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being charged for interviews/Jobs

Is it against the law for agencies to charge you for finding your contracts/interviews/permie roles?

I have been told by a friend if he gives and agency his CC details they gte to get him a job.

I told him that was wrong but need to back that up with some hard evidence.

Pleomax
    Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

I don't know if it's against the law. If an agency is providing a service, and someone's willing to pay for it, then I think from a leagal standpoint it's above board.

However, I think this is morally wrong, and I'd steer clear of any such agency who wanted an upfront payment from me before finding me work.
    If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Originally posted by pleomax View Post
      Is it against the law for agencies to charge you for finding your contracts/interviews/permie roles?

I have been told by a friend if he gives and agency his CC details they gte to get him a job.

I told him that was wrong but need to back that up with some hard evidence.

Pleomax
      It is against the law.... http://www.cvzest.co.uk/page.php?page=jobsearchguide and http://www.itcontractor .com/Articles_IR35_News_Advice/view_article.asp?id_no=581&photopage=0 (remove the space from the 2nd link) makes some reference to it being illegal, but I don't know which specific law covers this.

I hope this helps.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

IIRC it's in the Agency Regulations that they can't charge for finding you work.

Haven't read it for a while, though.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Definitely illegal. From http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ent/DG_173258:

Your employment agency can’t charge you a fee for finding or trying to find you work but they can charge you for additional non-work-finding services such as CV writing. However, they cannot make you use fee-paying services, for example CV writing, as a requirement for finding you work.

Comment

This seems most dodgy and probably illegal. Sounds like the type of thing you hear happening to illegal migrant workers. Is this bloke legal. Does he have work permit?

Comment

Yep, under the regs no agency can charge you for finding you work.

Comment

I was told once that in the UK recruiters cannot charge people looking for work, but in other countries they CAN.

In one sense it would be quite good... sites like Monster might be less full of wasters if you had to pay to get your CV up there.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

People must be desperate to be paying for interviews/contacts..
                  The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

There is nothing illegal about one business entity paying another business entity to help them secure a B2B contract with a third party.

Comment

Working...
                    X