• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you leave the UK permanently will HMRC come after you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you leave the UK permanently will HMRC come after you?

Hi,

I got a theoretical questions..

In you left the UK permanently (with no intention of ever come back to live but maybe passing through once in awhile) and you say had a corp tax bill of £15-20K do you think that the HMRC would try and come after you?

Do you think it would be possible to come back to the UK for a visit or would you be handcuffed at the airport?

Originally posted by MaximusInUK View Post
    Hi,

In you left the UK permanently (with no intention of ever come back to live but maybe passing through once in awhile) and you say had a corp tax bill of £15-20K do you think that the HMRC would try and come after you?

Do you think it would be possible to come back to the UK for a visit or would you be handcuffed at the airport?
    The UK has agreements with many other governments to collect tax owed in the UK.

If HMRC had a reasonable case of criminal tax evasion and they believed that you had left the country it would be a trivial matter for them to alert their colleagues in Border Control, Passport Control and Customs so that on entry your passport would flag up an arrest order.

Comment

Tax evasion is where you don't declare income. Once you have the accounts in and have declared it , then it becomes a debt to taxman. If it is a companies liability then surely you are limited and could dissolve, the taxman would get priorty on any assets to pay the bill.
      Doesn't sound very dodgy to me, in the current climate loads of people can't pay their tax and the taxman would not bankrupt just accept an arrangement.
      If you p off to sunnier climes then good luck, the hand cuffs wouldn't appear at heathrow, if it is a personal tax bill then they can chase you under civil law and if they find you then yes they can ask for the dosh but there are only certain countries(canada being one) that will enforce a UK judgement...germany is another.....
      I wouldnt worry it is all going to bloody hbos barclays et al anyway.

Comment

No problem at all. Just do it. Hope you and Bubba get on well.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If you can afford to pay it just pay it.

If you cant afford to pay it get the money before you leave and pay it.

HTH

Comment

I paid it all before I left, so you bloody can too.

hth

Comment

Originally posted by MaximusInUK View Post
              Hi,

Just do it - those school kids didn't need those meals anyway.

Idiot.
              "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

If only it went to the school kids eh?

Sadly, they're way back in line behind:

* Bombing countries / wars most of the population don't support
                * Bailing out banks
                * Trying to prop up the housing market.

etc, etc.

Comment

I have friends in Australia and New Zealand who have been chased for outstanding tax. Both sets have now come to arrangements and have started paying it off from abroad.

They were tracked to Oz and NZ.

During the time they were "fugative" they passed in and out of the UK and at no time were they stopped at border control. That may be because they are EU/UK full passport holders. Either their passports were not flagged or it was not enforced/picked up.

This is not something I would recommend as it caused them a great deal of stress and worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Flopsy View Post

This is not something I would recommend as it caused them a great deal of stress and worry.
                    That's why I recommended it - I want the thieving git to suffer...
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X