• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training a new employee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training a new employee

This is a hypothetical question, at the moment, but I was wondering how one might stand legally if one hired an employee and then simply sent them on training courses without them ever doing any work.

For example: My partner hasn't worked for a few years due to having far too many children. She's now looking at getting back to work but wants to do a couple of courses to get back up to standard and catch up with all the changes since she last used stuff like spreadsheets and word processors.

Could I employ her, send her on a load of courses using company money, then sack her?

Hypothetically.

Yep

"Keep them at 24,000"
    "No, feet"

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
      My partner hasn't worked for a few years due to having far too many children....
      Seems to me that she works fine then

Sorry, couldn't resist
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

You will need to put her on your payroll. Think you can pay someone about 6K to stay below the tax/NI limit and this counts towards the state pension. What you actually give her (if anything) is up to you, so that £6k is a nice tax free wedge you can keep to yourself.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like a plan then.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
            My partner hasn't worked for a few years due to having far too many children.
            I don't think you can train it out of 'wizard's sleeve' proportions.

Comment

You'd need to justify to HMRC that the training is wholly and neccesarily for the benefit of the company. How would you do that?

Comment

you may also have to pay her minimum wage for the hours spent on the courses - not sure you can employ someone and when they are away on training courses not pay them.

Comment

On the other hand, you could treat her like a piece of tulip, give her a bit of sexual harrassment then sack her for being a woman.

Then she can take you to a tribunal, win, your insurance pays out squillions - BOOMED!!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
                    You'd need to justify to HMRC that the training is wholly and neccesarily for the benefit of the company. How would you do that?
                    Yes, that was the point of the original question. i.e. Would this be legal?

But I don't see why I would have to show that the training "is wholly and neccesarily for the benefit of the company". Do companies normally have to do that?

I got sent on all sorts of courses when I was a permie, only a handful of which appeared to be for the benefit of anyone other than the bank account of the company providing the training.

Anyway, it would only be the usual MS Office sort of stuff - she's not training as a deep sea diver or anything - so it would be quite plausable I would think.

Comment

Working...
                    X