• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency refusing to honour 28-day notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    How would one gently suggest that they pay off the rest of the contract without being shown the door instead?
    Mention to your boss that if you have to hang around with nothing to do you might let slip the incident with the daffodil, the hamster and the Slovakian transexual hooker...
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
      Mention to your boss that if you have to hang around with nothing to do you might let slip the incident with the daffodil, the hamster and the Slovakian transexual hooker...
      BOSS!?!?!?!?!?! He's a contractor FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

OK "Customer contact" then.
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Notice

No one has mentioned the professional working day yet.
          If I were to work 28 days that’s 28 professional working days I would invoice for and the length of such a day is often determined in the contract.
          The client would expect you to provide a PWD. That being said, if you were to be given 28 days notice then you would reasonably assume to be provided 28 PWD's full of work.
          Notice is notice and I would expect any talk of only giving you 10 PWD’s over a 28 day period would not be received well at any tribunal or court hearing.
          Or maybe I am naïve?

Comment

Factually incorrect

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            If the utility companies do nothing for me, then they don't get paid. If I give them 28 days notice, but don't use their services, then I pay them nothing. The fact that I gave them notice is neither here nor there - they get paid for what they deliver, so £0 (assuming that there is no standing charge).

If I'm on a contract which pays for the days that I work, then if the client does not use my services then I would expect to receive £0 for that time. If I am expecting to get paid for not doing any work, then I'm a disguised permie and so should be taxed accordingly. They can give me any amount of notice - if I am not doing any work for them, then why should my company receive any money for it??
            Even if you give notice of 28 days, you have to pay them for the 28 days. Please do not mislead others like this.

Comment

Originally posted by augi01 View Post
              Even if you give notice of 28 days, you have to pay them for the 28 days. Please do not mislead others like this.
              Why are you ressurecting a post that is nearly a year old? You're also missing his point. If there was no standing charge and he used no electricity/gas/water/whatever then there would be nothing to pay.

Comment

Often wonder if the contract has come to an end and Brightonbreezy is still employed by his umbrella, would the umbrella company keep paying him NMW or will the umbrella company issue Brightonbreezy with a P45 as soon as the end client served notice.

Comment

Originally posted by augi01 View Post
                  I would pay for what I use - £0.

Please don't resurrect year old threads with nothing useful to say.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                  X