• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agency refusing to honour 28-day notice period"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by augi01 View Post
    Even if you give notice of 28 days, you have to pay them for the 28 days. Please do not mislead others like this.
    I would pay for what I use - £0.

Please don't resurrect year old threads with nothing useful to say.

Leave a comment:

• Robot
    replied
    Often wonder if the contract has come to an end and Brightonbreezy is still employed by his umbrella, would the umbrella company keep paying him NMW or will the umbrella company issue Brightonbreezy with a P45 as soon as the end client served notice.

Leave a comment:

• Hex
    replied
    Originally posted by augi01 View Post
    Even if you give notice of 28 days, you have to pay them for the 28 days. Please do not mislead others like this.
    Why are you ressurecting a post that is nearly a year old? You're also missing his point. If there was no standing charge and he used no electricity/gas/water/whatever then there would be nothing to pay.

Leave a comment:

• augi01
    replied
    Factually incorrect

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If the utility companies do nothing for me, then they don't get paid. If I give them 28 days notice, but don't use their services, then I pay them nothing. The fact that I gave them notice is neither here nor there - they get paid for what they deliver, so £0 (assuming that there is no standing charge).

If I'm on a contract which pays for the days that I work, then if the client does not use my services then I would expect to receive £0 for that time. If I am expecting to get paid for not doing any work, then I'm a disguised permie and so should be taxed accordingly. They can give me any amount of notice - if I am not doing any work for them, then why should my company receive any money for it??

Leave a comment:

• Sukuzov
    replied
    Notice

No one has mentioned the professional working day yet.
    If I were to work 28 days that’s 28 professional working days I would invoice for and the length of such a day is often determined in the contract.
    The client would expect you to provide a PWD. That being said, if you were to be given 28 days notice then you would reasonably assume to be provided 28 PWD's full of work.
    Notice is notice and I would expect any talk of only giving you 10 PWD’s over a 28 day period would not be received well at any tribunal or court hearing.
    Or maybe I am naïve?

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    OK "Customer contact" then.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Mention to your boss that if you have to hang around with nothing to do you might let slip the incident with the daffodil, the hamster and the Slovakian transexual hooker...
    BOSS!?!?!?!?!?! He's a contractor FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    How would one gently suggest that they pay off the rest of the contract without being shown the door instead?
    Mention to your boss that if you have to hang around with nothing to do you might let slip the incident with the daffodil, the hamster and the Slovakian transexual hooker...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    I suppose sitting here looking for work and getting paid isn't bad.
    Apart from introducing mutuality of obligation between the client and yourself, which makes an IR35 defence much harder to prove.

Getting paid for not working is what permies do, not contractors.

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    I was told last week my contract will not be renewed and the project I am working on is canned.

Strange thing is though is that the client said I can stay till the end of the contract which has 5 weeks to run??!! I would like to be paid off so I can leave but I suppose sitting here looking for work and getting paid isn't bad.

How would one gently suggest that they pay off the rest of the contract without being shown the door instead?

Leave a comment:

• neilmcl
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I'm not convinced about that FaQQer.

Contracts for services very commonly have a notice period irrespective of the customer using the services during the period. Obvious examples are telecoms/ISP's, utilities, housing, mobiles, insurance, support contracts and leases.
    I don't see why in a B2B arrangement like our contracts this should be any different.
    They're contracts of service not "services", subtle but important difference.

Leave a comment:

• Beefy198
    replied
    Because it's written in your contract of services? (Much like it would be with your utility services who you don't seem to want to pay )

Leave a comment:

• BrightonBreezy
    replied
    Originally posted by max View Post
    see a lawyer. Maybe they can send a them a wind up order...that should get them moving.
    Anyone have any recommendations for lawyers who know there stuff in this area?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    If you really feel strongly drop me a PM - I have some unconventional methods not fo the faint hearted
    Thanks but no thanks. If you'd asked me on Friday, when I learnt this, I would have happily bombed them into the Thames but I've calmed down now.

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Chances are that the contract will say that you only get paid for the work that you do - so they could give 28 days notice but tell you not to come in for that time.

Yes, it sucks.

Yes, it's not fair.

However, that's life - suck it up and move onto the next opportunity.
    Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
    Surely there was a notice period in the contract though? Imagine how the agency would feel if you said "I've found a new role and am clearing off as of now".

Hardly professional.
    Yes, there is a notice period and it gives the impression that the service provider would be compensated if his services are no longer required before the contract's term is up.
    But as The Faqqer says, it's worthless.
    And that's the basis of Huxley's thinking - they themselves don't believe that their own contract clause can be enforced, especially as it's via a company (the brolly) that's not under my control,
    Basically, Huxley entered a contract with the clientco that allows the client to end the agreement immediately without any penalty or compensation. Because Huxley are not getting any compensation from the clientco for the early termination, they in turn do not want to compensate me.
    It would cost them a fair stack of cash to cough up the notice period so they're not going to unless I force them and they don't believe I can.
    And sadly, on reflection now I've calmed down, I doubt I can force them to honour it either.

Yes, it stinks.
    Yes, it's misleading to put the notice period in there at all.

I'm taking at as a lesson learnt. I will consult a lawyer but I'm not holding my breath.

The interviews for the next gig are coming in thick and fast so it's time to think ahead to next contract.
    Earlier someone mentioned the possibility of a fixed payment for early termination - maybe that's the way to go. Some sort of fixed compensation for "services no longer required" before the contact's term is up.
    Anyone heard of such a thing in an IT consultancy contract?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

Contracts for services very commonly have a notice period irrespective of the customer using the services during the period. Obvious examples are telecoms/ISP's, utilities, housing, mobiles, insurance, support contracts and leases.
    I don't see why in a B2B arrangement like our contracts this should be any different.
    If the utility companies do nothing for me, then they don't get paid. If I give them 28 days notice, but don't use their services, then I pay them nothing. The fact that I gave them notice is neither here nor there - they get paid for what they deliver, so £0 (assuming that there is no standing charge).

If I'm on a contract which pays for the days that I work, then if the client does not use my services then I would expect to receive £0 for that time. If I am expecting to get paid for not doing any work, then I'm a disguised permie and so should be taxed accordingly. They can give me any amount of notice - if I am not doing any work for them, then why should my company receive any money for it??

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X