• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suspended From Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspended From Work

Hi All,

I've just been asked to 'leave the building' and not to come back until an investigation has been completed.

I've been contracting at the company for over 2 years (3 monthly renewals) with an excellent record of delivery, but they have just found that a user id I was using a couple of months ago has been used to access unauthorised data.

I have no idea how my user id has been compromised - and cannot recall a time when I would have left my PC unlocked.

The company apparently have audit reports and other sources that they are investigating - which will take 3 days.

Any advice?

I really like working for the company (it's my first contract), but even if found innocent, I'm sure that 'mud sticks'.

I can't imagine what will happen if they can't find anything to prove me innocent - I guess they'll terminate my contract? Will this affect my chances of getting another contract?

I'm really worried, so any advice would be extremely useful.

Cheers.

Start looking for a new role quickly and hope you get it before the result is announced.

Maybe you've been set up or maybe you've been careless. Either way if you've been asked to leave the building they wont trust you again.

Contractor at the bank where I work mailed some innocent information to his home email address. Unfortunately, there were some dummy credit card accounts contained deep in the mail.

This was flagged up on the mail server and investigated. Contractor was given notice soon after even though a number of managers vouched for him.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I see you said "a user id" - was it one of yours? Why were you only using it a couple of months ago?

Comment

Something similar happened to me. A system that was designated strictly off limits was found to have been accessed from my PC. Although I had connected to the system previously, I knew I had not used it recently. Things were a bit hairy for a while but I managed to prove that it was not a deliberate access. I was able to show that an application I was using had an embedded connection that I was unaware of. People were a bit suspicious of me for a time but it eventually blew over.

If you are good at your job and always behave professionally then people may be prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt.

If I was you, I would formally request a meeting (offsite) and ask for the opportunity to defend yourself. Depending on the system, they may be able to provide dates and times when the userid was used and from which workstation it originated. This might help clear your name.

Comment

If they find you guilty, can they instigate legal proceedings? Is this where that liability insurance comes in?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'd say give them the benefit of the doubt. Let them take the lead, but tell them you quite understand, that you take security as seriously as they do and that you'll help them in any way they require. (but don't apologize for anything if you've not done anything wrong).

If they find you innocent, don't worry about "mud sticks". Most people are sensible, and if they find out the real villain you won't look bad any more.

If they terminate your contract, will it harm your chances of getting another? possibly sometimes, but all contracts come to an end and rarely do future clients delve into the reasons.

Comment

You've been there 2+ years. That's a good stint, so be preparing to leave by getting your CV out, whilst defending yourself if you get the chance.

You're not a permie and shiite happens. You could have been careless or negligent or worse - we do not know. As a contractor you should never come to think as any contract as permanent and assured. Even if you are 'cleared' there will be no more renewals from this client.

The good news is that it will not hinder you finding your next contract.

Comment

Working...
              X