• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lost income after RTA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dante View Post
    Don't the old bill call it an RTI (Incident) these days as they say that these events are never accidents - someone is always liable...
    I believe they use the term RTC (Road Traffic Collision) nowadays, on the basis that there is always some kind of collision - if a little old lady falls off her bicycle miles from anybody else, she nonetheless collides with the ground, for example.

The term "accident" was abandoned to avoid some smartarse lawyer arguing that their client couldn't be held liable as the emergency services had described it as an accident, which implies no blame

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      I'm surprised if you can get them to pay up.

You were involved in the accident, and can't work. In that case, the amount that you could go after would be the amount of income that you would have been paid for that time. If your employer (i.e. your company) wants to make a separate case against the driver, then it's up to them to go after the loss that your company incurred because you could not work.

Although you have been injured, the main party that is losing out is your company, not you personally. You can probably go after him / her for the loss of your minimum wage (or whatever your company pays you), but I'd be surprised if you can go after him / her for the loss of the contract that your company incurred.

Finally, if you are claiming this personally, then there is always the potential that that would put your contract inside IR35, because it is you as an individual that is making the claim, rather than the company.

IANAL.

HTH.

etc.

FaQ
      Good point. I've got no paperwork for the extention and after enquiring today I don't think I'll get any. I was just on the phone to my brother-in-law and he happens to be part of the john-q-law. He confirms that now its an RTC and he reckons that because I'm a director and because of the RTC my company lost out I can just strap this onto the same clame. I did get this tho

All we are able to provide is proof of the contract you was on, because you didn't accept the extension we can not and will not confirm the contract dates until March as requested below.
      Which does confirm the exsistance of an offer.

I've got pains, which the medication takes the edge off. So I should just push on, but it might take me a while to get off the bench.

Thanks for all the comments.
      Have Fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
        Good point. I've got no paperwork for the extention and after enquiring today I don't think I'll get any. I was just on the phone to my brother-in-law and he happens to be part of the john-q-law. He confirms that now its an RTC and he reckons that because I'm a director and because of the RTC my company lost out I can just strap this onto the same clame.
        I'd be surprised, to be honest - the company is not the same as the person, after all. Since the company has lost out, they would need to make a claim, rather than the employee who hasn't lost out too much (since all you have lost is the salary that you would have earned in the couple of weeks, which assuming the low salary-high dividend model won't be much).

I guess you could make the claim all in one go, and then reimburse the company the amount that relates to loss of earnings to make it all above board...

The operative word in that sentence is, of course, "guess". Maybe ring the legal helpline with the PCG (assuming you are a member) and see what an expert suggests rather than us lot over here.

Best of luck with it - worst case is that you try and get nothing. He who dares, Rodders, he who dares...
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have actual experience of this. As a pedestrian in 2001 I was hit on a crossing by a speeding motorcyclist. Badly injured.

During the years I've spoken to a number of other people injuried - both contractors and permies.

The good news is that as it is "only" 2 weeks the other sides insurance company is more likley to pay up. They may quibble though and make it as hard as possible for you. They can get very nasty indeed and in my case I was followed and video taped, harrassed as my home by bogus callers and "delivery men", video taped in my own home secretly and had many strange things happen to me. The shock of seeing this all video taped and sent to me (when still badly injured) was severe.

I obtained legal opinions on the company vs personal injury angle. The "other side" if they wish to be difficult will argue that they should pay you what the company would have paid you. In my case I obained a report from a "Forsensic Accountant" that calculated the amount owed as being the full amount.

I was on a monthly "rolling" contract and there was no "proof" that this would have continued but the "other side" never argued this point.

It all comes down to a big haggle at the end. There are no hard and fast rules. There is case law to cover any viewpoint and much of it is contradictory.

The main thing is showing them that you intend to fight and not being put off by the barriers. As it said as it is "only" 2 weeks they may pay up as it is expensive for them to use lawyers.

Comment

Working...
          X