• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client gone bust =- should I still get paid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client gone bust =- should I still get paid?

Between my agent and the client there are two consultancies, one UK and one overseas. The client has no money to pay the overseas consultancy but I thought I should still get paid for the two week notice period, given that my contract is with my agency.

The agency is saying I shouldn't bill them if they can't get the money from the consultancy but I thought this should be irrelevant because of the two weeks notice in the contract between us.

Am I wrong?
    my photos

Bill them.

If you are opted in then the agency has to pay up. If you are not then the agency doesn't have to pay up until they get the money.

You may get your money back but it's likely you won't.

Then get yourself on jobserve. Be glad that you haven't lost more money than you have.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You are opted-in aren't you? They have to pay up then. If not, make this a lesson - ALWAYS opt-in regardless of what the agency says, otherwise you're not guaranteed your money.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
        ALWAYS opt-in regardless of what the agency says
        Meanwhile, back in the real world.....
        Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeygeorge View Post
          Between my agent and the client there are two consultancies, one UK and one overseas. The client has no money to pay the overseas consultancy but I thought I should still get paid for the two week notice period, given that my contract is with my agency.

The agency is saying I shouldn't bill them if they can't get the money from the consultancy but I thought this should be irrelevant because of the two weeks notice in the contract between us.

Am I wrong?
          Technically, you are entitled to bill, but sometimes you have to be pragmatic. Just be glad that you've been paid for the work you've actually done. In times like this, everyone suffers.

In your situation, I'd ask the agency for proof that they haven't been paid, because your agency may bill their client in the chain, and if they get paid (unlikely), you should too. If they can't provide proof, bill. Beyond that, I wouldn't pursue the debt, but if you did and it went to court, you'd get a more favourable hearing from the judge for acting in a slightly reasonable manner.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Who's the contract with?

If there are two consultancies have a look at the contract. Thier client may have gone bust not yours.

Comment

Being opted in counts for nothing. If you can supply timesheets and your client (the consultancy) has not gone bust you should be paid. Unlikely that agency will now pay you until your immediate client pays them though. Good luck and prepare to go legal.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                Meanwhile, back in the real world.....
                You need to grow a pair. They can't force you to opt-out and in the end they always take the commission rather than turn you down. Just stick to your guns.
                Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
                  You need to grow a pair.
                  Haven't been looking in the last couple of months, have you?
                  Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                    Being opted in counts for nothing. If you can supply timesheets and your client (the consultancy) has not gone bust you should be paid. Unlikely that agency will now pay you until your immediate client pays them though. Good luck and prepare to go legal.
                    Yes but he's talking about the notice period. It falls into that slightly grey area of whether you should be paid for work you haven't done (and so don't have timesheets for) because of the notice period.

If you happened to be going on holiday for those 2 weeks, would the agent still have to pay you for the notice period? Ordinarily they wouldn't pay you if you went on holiday, so it would seem perverse if they did have to pay you for a notice period when you didn't work and were not available to work.
                    Last edited by VectraMan; 12 October 2008, 11:42. Reason: tense
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X