• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop for the company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the replys...

I spoke to someone at Nixon Williams today and they said just claim it on my expenses sheet... Why the need for that note in there guide is still a mystry lol...

The invoice is in the companies name and its just for business use so I can see there being any of the potential issues listed above. Im also on flat rate VAT so no VAT issues either... I have to pay it :P

Thanks for the replys...

Comment

Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
      The issue is that if you incur the expense as an employee and make an expense claim to your company, then it will be a taxable benefit-in-kind unless it is incurred wholly, exclusively and necessarily for the purposes of the trade, which is a very difficult test to pass and in the case of a laptop it probably wouldn't pass.
      Even if you have 2 or 3 other computers in your house?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Perfect timing, just done the same (albeit a Dell from Tesco, great deal on an XPS 1530 if anyone is interested) and also with Nixon Williams and worried about the guidance. No company name on invoice in my case as it wasn't an option ordering from Tesco Direct lol.

I couldn't pay direct as it's a new company and Cater Allen won't give me a debit card for 6 months and nowhere accepts cheques now.

Think I'll claim next month anyway. With more than 1 computer per person in the house already, I think it's fair to say this is purely for business!

Comment

Hope the new laptop has a spellchecker:

Replies not Replys
          Company's not Companies

Comment

Originally posted by London75 View Post
            I think it's fair to say this is purely for business!
            Since when has "fairness" come into it?

It might even be "reasonable" to argue it. However, it may be that HMRC is neither reasonable nor fair in the analysis of whether it's a valid expense or not.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Even if you have 2 or 3 other computers in your house?
              Originally posted by London75 View Post
              I think it's fair to say this is purely for business!
              In both cases, this probably means that you can argue that it is wholly and exclusively for business purposes but not necessarily necessarily, if that makes any sense. Indeed, necessarily is usually the hardest of the three to satisfy.

Comment

Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
                In both cases, this probably means that you can argue that it is wholly and exclusively for business purposes but not necessarily necessarily, if that makes any sense. Indeed, necessarily is usually the hardest of the three to satisfy.

So I have lots of computers in my house owned by me personally, but because I have to work away from home and do demonstrations away from home buying a laptop for the business is not a necessary expense.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X