• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Laptop for the company"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
    In both cases, this probably means that you can argue that it is wholly and exclusively for business purposes but not necessarily necessarily, if that makes any sense. Indeed, necessarily is usually the hardest of the three to satisfy.

So I have lots of computers in my house owned by me personally, but because I have to work away from home and do demonstrations away from home buying a laptop for the business is not a necessary expense.

Leave a comment:

• THEPUMA
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Even if you have 2 or 3 other computers in your house?
    Originally posted by London75 View Post
    I think it's fair to say this is purely for business!
    In both cases, this probably means that you can argue that it is wholly and exclusively for business purposes but not necessarily necessarily, if that makes any sense. Indeed, necessarily is usually the hardest of the three to satisfy.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by London75 View Post
    I think it's fair to say this is purely for business!
    Since when has "fairness" come into it?

It might even be "reasonable" to argue it. However, it may be that HMRC is neither reasonable nor fair in the analysis of whether it's a valid expense or not.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied

Hope the new laptop has a spellchecker:

Replies not Replys
    Company's not Companies

Leave a comment:

• London75
    replied
    Perfect timing, just done the same (albeit a Dell from Tesco, great deal on an XPS 1530 if anyone is interested) and also with Nixon Williams and worried about the guidance. No company name on invoice in my case as it wasn't an option ordering from Tesco Direct lol.

I couldn't pay direct as it's a new company and Cater Allen won't give me a debit card for 6 months and nowhere accepts cheques now.

Think I'll claim next month anyway. With more than 1 computer per person in the house already, I think it's fair to say this is purely for business!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
    The issue is that if you incur the expense as an employee and make an expense claim to your company, then it will be a taxable benefit-in-kind unless it is incurred wholly, exclusively and necessarily for the purposes of the trade, which is a very difficult test to pass and in the case of a laptop it probably wouldn't pass.
    Even if you have 2 or 3 other computers in your house?

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Thanks for the replys...

I spoke to someone at Nixon Williams today and they said just claim it on my expenses sheet... Why the need for that note in there guide is still a mystry lol...

The invoice is in the companies name and its just for business use so I can see there being any of the potential issues listed above. Im also on flat rate VAT so no VAT issues either... I have to pay it :P

Thanks for the replys...

Leave a comment:

• THEPUMA
    replied
    The issue is that if you incur the expense as an employee and make an expense claim to your company, then it will be a taxable benefit-in-kind unless it is incurred wholly, exclusively and necessarily for the purposes of the trade, which is a very difficult test to pass and in the case of a laptop it probably wouldn't pass.

Whereas if the company purchases the laptop directly or the employee purchases the laptop on behalf of the company (ie in practise the invoice is in the company name), you should be OK.

PUMA

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Even if you buy something direct from your company account it's no guarantee that you won't use it for personal stuff, so I don't think it makes any odds how you do it.
    From an accounting and tax point of view, it's a lot simpler if business items are paid for straight from the company account.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
    Also, most vendors (PC World, Dell, dabs.com) will raise the invoice to your company regardless of the payment method.
    I've bought a couple of Dells and done just that: paid with my personal credit card but filled in the company name so that it appears on the invoice. It is a company purchase for all intents and purposes, I've just temporarily loaned the company the money.

Even if you buy something direct from your company account it's no guarantee that you won't use it for personal stuff, so I don't think it makes any odds how you do it.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Also, most vendors (PC World, Dell, dabs.com) will raise the invoice to your company regardless of the payment method.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    If you bought it personally, you claim it back on yuor expenses. No potential problem that I can see. i have never had any issues with such a transaction.

You can see there could be an issue with the VAT reclaim but again, its never been a problem for me in practice and I've been involved in a few VAT enquiries in my time. Presumably the OP will be on FRS for VAT anyway and the laptop is unlikely to cost >£2k.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Weren't there some threads a while back indicating that if you buy personally then the VAT won't be reclaimable. Personally I think this is tosh (I've never had a problem doing this) but perhaps that's what the accountant is alluding to.

"Potential Problems" isn't a very useful comment though is it !

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Sounds like a load of old toss to me. You can sell whatever you want from you to the Ltd and from the Ltd to you. The only time it would be an issue would be where you are gaining personally from the transaction (i.e. selling for more than market rate to the Ltd).

Your accountant is probably right in that it is better to use the company credit/debit cards but it's not the end of the world that you didn't and you shouldn't concern yourself...

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    One thing I found when I brought my laptop and other services is that if you buy them as a business, your warranty and the after care you receive is different.

If you buy it personally then use the item for business use then you find that you are not protected by consumer legislation as it's for business use, and you don't have the additional business protection.
    Cheers for your reply...

Alot of that comes down to how honest I am with the warranty people regarding the use of the laptop lol. Good points though.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X