• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Tax Return and E101

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Tax Return and E101

Hello, please help me!

I am self-employed, thus paying income taxes in Germany, which includes income from letting my UK property, while paying the national insurance contributions (E101) in the UK. However, I have received the tax return forms from HMRC . Does anyone knows the reason for this forms to be completed, although I am a non-resident in the UK

Do I have to tick "YES" for the self employment as well as for the UK property?

Thanking you in advance.

Not totally sure but think the UK tax return is only about income earned in the UK or by those deemed UK residents. Would geuss you are not a UK resident from post so is probably only your UK rental they want to know about.

This rather useless answer will send your question back up so is not entirely pointless. Maybe you need to put a bit more detail, are you a Brit abroad for a while or a foreign resident who owns UK property? Think it makes a difference.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by hlvs001 View Post
      Hello, please help me!

I am self-employed, thus paying income taxes in Germany, which includes income from letting my UK property, while paying the national insurance contributions (E101) in the UK. However, I have received the tax return forms from HMRC . Does anyone knows the reason for this forms to be completed, although I am a non-resident in the UK

Thanking you in advance.
      If they want you to fill it in you have. With all the income details, but don't forget to tick the claim for non residency. Whether or not you are actually non resident in the UK remains to be seen of course.

Comment

Hello, please help me!

Thanking you in advance.
        There is a box to tick and an extra section to fill in for non tax residency. You normaly have to ask them for it.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Hello, please help me!

I am self-employed, thus paying income taxes in Germany, which includes income from letting my UK property,
          Here is your mistake.

HMG have first call for tax on this income and it is them to which you should be declaring it.

In fact, you should have registered for "tax withholding" on this income so that HMG can be sure that you aren't going to run off and not pay them their share.

HTH

tim

Comment

Working...
          X