• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Avoidence Scheme Number

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Avoidence Scheme Number

Hi there,

I' was briefly with a offshore loan scheme (yes, I know) last financial year.

I'm trying to complete my tax return now, and it asks about the scheme number for Tax Avoidence.

I've asked the previous offshore company for a number, but they are (as normal) being tight lipped.

I'm not too keen on contacting HMRC and disclosing the scheme myself, although I will if I have to. Wondering if anyone else has hit this situation and found a way to 'search' for existing scheme numbers or similar?

EF

If it was a loan thingie you are proly best to not put any of these on the return....

Comment

My understanding is that being a loan it is not income and therefore it is not a tax scheme and therefore there is no scheme number.

However, I would ask you scheme arrangers to confirm in writing that it is the case or provide the reference if not.

Also, I thought it was standard that scheme providers completed draft tax returns in order to ensure they were correctly completed. Are your guys running away?
      Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
      "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

These loan scheme managers are dodgy as it can be. I made a mistake but not anymore ...

Comment

Originally posted by juststarting View Post
          These loan scheme managers are dodgy as it can be. I made a mistake but not anymore ...
          CYA time. Tell Hector. You want the providers to be wrong, not you.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
            My understanding is that being a loan it is not income and therefore it is not a tax scheme and therefore there is no scheme number.

However, I would ask you scheme arrangers to confirm in writing that it is the case or provide the reference if not.

Also, I thought it was standard that scheme providers completed draft tax returns in order to ensure they were correctly completed. Are your guys running away?
            I've never had TRM do my returns, it's always been my problem. Anyway, I'm no longer an employee (found it too dodgy and left), so they aren't interested.

Surely, its a scheme to avoid paying tax, and therefore should have a scheme number. The legislation says that non-uk providers do not have to register, and that this should be done by the members.

Comment

Technically it's not income so keep quite. HMRC could kick up a stink even if it's legit. The rule of thumb in these circumstances is to let trouble come to you, not go looking for trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                Technically it's not income so keep quite. HMRC could kick up a stink even if it's legit. The rule of thumb in these circumstances is to let trouble come to you, not go looking for trouble.
                Strikes me that this is a pretty dodgy approach and liable to get you in hot water come Investigation time (should it come).

Comment

Working...
                X