• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you best mitigate against getting caught by IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    That's what I was getting at. I would assume then that you can help by offering TLC35 to them?

This is not cynicism, I think it is a very good product.
    Yep, if they want the complete peace of mind we can offer TLC35 (providing their working practices are ok of course). I think it's inevitable that we will see some form of increase in TLC purchases and the risk for us obviously increases in hand with that.

Contrary to some assumptions, the premiums haven't increased and the conditions of the policy have remained the same. We will be advising clients of steps they can take to strengthen their case, but we won't be adding any further stipulations.
    Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Originally posted by Qdos Consulting View Post
      Yep, if they want the complete peace of mind we can offer TLC35 (providing their working practices are ok of course). I think it's inevitable that we will see some form of increase in TLC purchases and the risk for us obviously increases in hand with that.

Contrary to some assumptions, the premiums haven't increased and the conditions of the policy have remained the same. We will be advising clients of steps they can take to strengthen their case, but we won't be adding any further stipulations.
      Actually, providing HMRC do not suddenly get a huge number of inspectors to chase up all the cases, then QDOS's own risk profile per policy could actually decrease if there are a lot more buyers of the policy. (Same or a bit more risk, same number of investigations, but a lot more policies to spread the risk over.)
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Thanks Fred. I believe paying more into a pension wouldn't be a bad idea as it would mean there would be "lower hanging fruit" elsewhere.

Another idea: What would happen if you left as much as possible in the company for 6 years and then took it as divis on the basis that they can only go back 6 years? If they do come knocking, pay it into a pension.

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
          Thanks Fred. I believe paying more into a pension wouldn't be a bad idea as it would mean there would be "lower hanging fruit" elsewhere.

Another idea: What would happen if you left as much as possible in the company for 6 years and then took it as divis on the basis that they can only go back 6 years? If they do come knocking, pay it into a pension.
          You're welcome, as for how much my advice is worth, well, I offer no warranties Myself I'm putting a lump sum monthly into a Hargreaves Lansdown SIPP and I top it up at year end if there's any spare cash. At present I'm income shifting as much as I can but that might change. My aim is to keep very little cash in the business each year beyond that which is required to cover corporation tax etc. In answer to the question about paying 6 years of divis in one year- You'd pay a lot of higher rate tax. I only draw upto the 20% income tax threshold. (I "income shift" as well though).
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
          X