• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

P11d - correct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by windbag View Post
    I did not receive a copy of the P11d - as mentioned, I would have been on this as soon as (this is for 05/06) - I suspect the brolly submitted the P11d late to the HRMC.

It was a temp contract no debate - I know the rules and comply fully.

Can I make these guys provide the back-up data they are basing this calculation upon? we all have to keep records for 7 years. I have mine but I am not the 'owner' of the
    p11d and the data supporting this.
    1. Your employer does not have to provide you with a copy of your P11d unless you request it. As for charging for it, they may be allowed to charge a reasonable admin fee, but £50 does not sound reasonable to me.

2. You seem to be evading the question of "Did you have more than one contract with this umbrella?", if you did not then it is not a temporary workplace and travel expenses are benefits in kind. HMRC rules I'm afraid.
    Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by windbag View Post
      I did not receive a copy of the P11d - as mentioned, I would have been on this as soon as (this is for 05/06) - I suspect the brolly submitted the P11d late to the HRMC.

It was a temp contract no debate - I know the rules and comply fully.

Can I make these guys provide the back-up data they are basing this calculation upon? we all have to keep records for 7 years. I have mine but I am not the 'owner' of the
      p11d and the data supporting this.
      There is a legal requirement for an employer to provide a copy of the information submitted. Ultimately of course the dispensation (if any) is simply for the brolly. THe 2595 at dispute is simply an indication of what has been paid to you outwith their dispensation. If you have the evidence of it's payment, and belief it is within the rules then there is no problem. You simply mention on your tax return the 2595 as income (which it is) and make a matching claim for 2595 in expenses (which you beleive they are).

Even if you only had one contract with the umbrella it may still be a temporary workplace. It depends largely on what your intent was. If you intent was to enter into a series of assignments then it is probably a temporary workplace.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        So long as he was on a temporary placement that didn't exceed 2 years at geographically similar sites then the HMRC rules allow for reasonable travel expenses.
        I don't understand how the Umbrella can claim that expenses were paid in excess of their dispensation. The Umbrella controls the payroll and can accept or reject expenses claim, their duty of care is to only accept allowable expenses.

Unless Windbag has left out a lot of critical detail I don't see how the Umbrella can have got it right for that matter them wanting any money at all for data collected and submitted about him seems pretty barmy.
        In order for him to claim home to work travel he would have to had the intention to perform more than one contract through the umbrella company. If he had only one contract then, however short the contract, it would not have been a temporary location (according to HMR&C rules).

The umbrella company can process any expenses that the contractor submits provided that it is allowable by HMR&C. Anything covered by their dispensation does not have to be recorded on a P11D but everything else does. The dispensation is not reflective of what is an allowable expense

HTH
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Lisa
          In order for him to claim home to work travel he would have to had the intention to perform more than one contract through the umbrella company. If he had only one contract then, however short the contract, it would not have been a temporary location (according to HMR&C rules).
          Now that's interesting. I wonder how many people actually realise that...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Love the edit Mal you big smoothie you

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post

The umbrella company can process any expenses that the contractor submits provided that it is allowable by HMR&C. Anything covered by their dispensation does not have to be recorded on a P11D but everything else does. The dispensation is not reflective of what is an allowable expense

HTH
              I was with GIANT from March 2005 to Feb 2007 (five contracts with the same company) Have since become Ltd and had various contracts with various employers since.

Does this mean that the expenses I claimed with GIANT for travelling from Durham To Leeds everyday should have been interpreted as BIK?

When did this rule come about?
              Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                I was with GIANT from March 2005 to Feb 2007 (five contracts with the same company) Have since become Ltd and had various contracts with various employers since.

Does this mean that the expenses I claimed with GIANT for travelling from Durham To Leeds everyday should have been interpreted as BIK?

When did this rule come about?
                Not necessarily, it comes down to 'intention' which is a hard one for IR or anyone to prove really. If someone takes a contract role in between finishing one permie job and starting another the travel expense would most definately not be allowed but if someone intends to become a career contractor then obviously the intent is there from their first contract.

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Not necessarily, it comes down to 'intention' which is a hard one for IR or anyone to prove really. If someone takes a contract role in between finishing one permie job and starting another the travel expense would most definitely not be allowed but if someone intends to become a career contractor then obviously the intent is there from their first contract.
                  That's more like it...

Thanks for that.
                  Blood in your poo

Comment

Not necessarily, it comes down to 'intention' which is a hard one for IR or anyone to prove really. If someone takes a contract role in between finishing one permie job and starting another the travel expense would most definately not be allowed but if someone intends to become a career contractor then obviously the intent is there from their first contract.
                    There's the rub and in my opinion it's almost a paradox at what point does the "intention" become a fact 2nd contract? 5th? 18th? What if you use 3 Umbrellas on 3 short contracts and then settle on a 4th because you hated the 1st 3, are all of those temporary or permanent?

If the OP's Umbrella has painted him into a corner (even by accident) and told HMRC that he wasn't at a temporary workplace, HMRC will take their view of the grey area and will be hard if not impossible to budge.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      Not many. I've mentioned it here and there for over three years since the problem was first published - where precisely I can't remember, but it may well have been in connection with "there".
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X